Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a cat 2002 311c excavator I am having a problem with

Customer Question

Hi I have a cat 2002 311c excavator I am having a problem with oil leaking from the vent on my swing gear thanks
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.
Are you seeing hydraulic oil or gear oil come out?
Was the drive just serviced?Did the temperatures just get warm in your area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It don't smell like gear oil the swing gear was not serviced lately and the temperature has warmed up in this area
Sorry, I should not have said gear oil. It only needs 30w transmission oil for the drive. If 50w was used, it may smell like gear oil. Either would feel thicker than hydraulic oil.Are you losing hydraulic oil?If so, how much?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It feels thicker than hydraulic oil not losing any hydraulic oil it only leaks through the vent after swinging something heavy
If your drive is very full, It is normal to see oil push up the tube and leak from the breather when it gets warm. As long as you are not seeing a stream of oil, It should just be monitored.I see this often after servicing as it is very hard to get the level just right. I usually aim between the marks and avoid overfilling.Just make sure the oil is not getting water in it. It will turn cre***** ***** if it is. You can always pull the drain hose out the back side and let a little out to see what the oil looks like.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The oil looks clean no water in it and it does not leak much just periodacally
Yep, I think it is just slightly over full. Monitor the level to see if it is on the high mark when cold. Drain a little out, maybe a pint at the time and monitor the level. If your swing motor seal fails, the drive will fill up quickly and eventually it will lose a large amount of oil. You would likely notice the oil leaking before any serious damage will occur.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information and have good night
You're welcome. If you need more help on this or any problem, please feel free to ask for me again. Thanks, Donnie