catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

i have a excavator 320D cat the engine doesnt start i have

i have a excavator 320D cat the engine doesn't start i have the engine speed sensor code 8 in the scanner but i can read the rpms in it also no rpms in the monitoring system i put a new rpm sensor still nothing if i put starting fluid thru the intake engine start and works fine other wise don't start .
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

catmastertech :

What is the full code?

catmastertech :

Can you pull the code from the monitor?

catmastertech :

Are you saying the engine runs after a little ether or it will only run on ether.

catmastertech :

What is the machine's serial number?

Customer:

correct little ether runs perfect

Customer:

I'm pulling the code with the scanner

catmastertech :

How many hours are on this machine/engine?

Customer:

is 2008 6.4 acert cat

Customer:

9000 hours

catmastertech :

Serial number?

catmastertech :

Does the engine have any logged codes for low fuel pressure?

Customer:

actually the excavator is in a foreing country no here in the united states thats why i dont have the serial number is XXXXX brother machine im trying to help him

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

no he says no codes for low fuel pressure

catmastertech :

I can only guess the injectors are worn out. It is common to have a no start problem and a taste of ether will get the engine to run and not have any power complaints.

catmastertech :

The injection pump could have a problem as well but, I don't know which engine this is without the serial number and cannot say for certain how likely that could be the problem.

Customer:

but why the code 8 engine speed sensor and why doesnt show the rpms in the monitoring system

Customer:

but also you can see the rpms showing in the scanner

catmastertech :

The monitor is not looking for the engine speed sensor.

catmastertech :

Only the flywheel speed sensor.

catmastertech :

It is likely to slow to see it cranking or it has a problem.

Customer:

so let me ask there is two sensors in the flywheel

catmastertech :

Cranking speed must be over 150 rpm for the engine speed sensor to turn on the fuel system.

catmastertech :

No, one in the flywheel only for the pump control.

Customer:

but i see the rpms since i crank but from the scanner

catmastertech :

Engine has two in the front cover.

catmastertech :

Scanner see the engine sensors

Customer:

this particular engine only have two sensor in the flywheel

catmastertech :

Ok, I may be wrong. That is why I need the serial numbers.

catmastertech :

If this is a high pressure common rail fuel system, the pump has one speed sensor in it.

catmastertech :

And the other would be in the flywheel. I just found a picture for a 6.4

Customer:

yes the pump has a sensor and a solenoid

catmastertech :

Common rail engines do have injector wear problems. Sometimes it is the high pressure pump but, more often it is the injectors.

Customer:

and the other 2 sensor are locate in the flywheel

catmastertech :

A leakoff test needs to be done and special tooling is needed to preform this correctly.

Customer:

so in that case i believe could be the injector correct if it was a problem with the high pressure pump the machine really start?

catmastertech :

You are right, the more trouble from the high pressure pump, the less likely the engine will run.

catmastertech :

9000 hours on these injectors is great. I don't know of any here that have that many hours.

catmastertech :

You must install new lines with the new injectors. Old lines can leak and be extremely dangerous.

Customer:

k tomorrow he's going to desasembly the injectors thank you so much for your help

Customer:

have good night

catmastertech :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

catmastertech :

Please remember to rate my answer. Feedback is greatly apprecieated.

catmastertech, Technician
Experience: Field service technician for CAT 19 years.