dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Experience:  Road Mechanic for Volvo Construction Equipment.
11640745

how do u bleed air from hydraulic system

Customer Question

Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  dieseldan55 replied 4 years ago.

Hello, it sounds like you do have air in the cylinders. if it feels spongy or is hard to feather than it would be an indication of air. Normally operating the cylinder all the way back and forth several times, being careful not to go to fast and don't bottom the cylinder out. Thant would do it. Look for small bleeders on the cylinders, be it an extra plug or screw, not common but some machine have them. The other way is to crack the lines after cycling a few times to let air escape. depending on how much hose length you have you can place the hose in a bucket of clean oil and work the function back and forth manually allowing oil to vent in the submerged hoses. Not common to do it this way, just a last resort for troubling cylinders. I would recommend cycle the cylinders several more times, let the oil in the tank settle a couple of hours for the air to bleed out. Then try it again and see if it is better, maybe doing that a few times will be enough. As I stated before don't bottom the cylinders while doing this and don't go fast. Doing so will cause damage to the packings from the air pockets exploding under high pressures. Let me know if I can help further, Thanks. Dan