Josh, Support Specialist
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I've been told by micro-soft that my firewall has expired

Customer Question

I've been told by micro-soft that my firewall has expired and that I have to buy the service now . Is this true?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: windows 10 Dell
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes ,but unsure if this has solved the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No other then is this a reasonable request from micro?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 10 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 10 days ago.

No, that is not true at all. The company/person that has told you that is a scammer.

Windows Firewall does not expire and it comes preinstalled on your computer.

If you have any questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
now am I to understand that the firewall that was on my laptop when I bought it is still there, and has no time limit? and a micro soft post on my pc with a corresponding number was a scam?
Expert:  Josh replied 10 days ago.

You're correct that the firewall is included with your computer and it does not have any time limit on it.

The popup that you saw was actually a scam popup and it was not an actual legit popup.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
this sounds like for $ 149.00 for 5 years or 1 year for $80.00 I can give you what you need .
Expert:  Josh replied 10 days ago.

Any offer from that person/company is a scam -- Please do not pay them and do not allow them access to your computer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
no thank you I have trusted enough for one day.
Expert:  Josh replied 10 days ago.

The company that you spoke with before is a scam company and they are not associated with Microsoft. The popup that you saw was "scareware" where it tricks a user into thinking they are infected with a virus when they are really not.