Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Task bar locked and all icons on task bar missing. No

task bar locked and all icons on task bar missing. No response from task bar and cannot open start
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: This follows restart after windows 10 latest security upgrade
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I think only Windows 10 security fix upgrade last Thur
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Please hold down the Power button for 10 seconds until the computer powers off

Wait 10 seconds

Power it back on and see if the issue continues

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I've done that several times still locked. Also booted F12 and ran full diagnostics with all good. Need new ideas.

Are you able to press the Windows Key and R together when you reach the desktop and have the Run box appear?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Nothing happens

Does your computer reach the desktop?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Icons on desktop work. However, task bar locked open but all icons missing and taskbar not responding to mouse clicks.

If you press the Windows key and the letter R together, it should open the Run box

Do you see that box?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I've done that several times and nothing comes up.

Right click on the Start icon and select Control Panel

Does the control panel open?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No. Nothing in frozen taskbar responds including START.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Shut down the windows 10 computer, start it.. When it gets to the windows sign in screen, dont sign in.

Instead, left click the power button at the bottom right.

Then, hold down the shift key on your keyboard, and then click restart.

This should bring you to the blue screen menu.. Choose troubleshooting, advanced, and then choose system restore.

Once system restore loads, choose a restore point that was one day before this problem started and then carry out the system restore.

That should fix the issue, but if you get stuck or this doesnt work then please send a detailed reply and I will assist you further as needed.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I did as instructed but apparently this computer has no restore points. Other ideas?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Wait! When rebooted everything seems back to normal. I guess we have success! Thanks

Sometimes merely accessing the recovery function, will cause the computer to go through the startup repair process and fix windows. Its rare, but it does happen.

With that being said, I think we should do a bit of preventive maintenance.

For good measure first run the free trial of hitman pro and have it delete anything it finds.

https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us/hmp.aspx

Once it runs and finishes, have it remove all it finds..

An easy way to access the command prompt, is to hold down the windows key on your keyboard and press the letter X. ( The Windows key is two keys to the left of the spacebar)

Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
Type in SFC /scannow and hit enter.

Once that repair is complete, you may also want to run this command next

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Once both are complete and you have removed all viruses using hitman pro.. You should have a reasonably solid foundation for your machine to continue running and avoid the previous issue from re-occuring. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know.

Dustin S.

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller