ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

I'm running windows vista i need to upgrade. But have an

Customer Question

I'm running windows vista i need to upgrade. But have an older computer (CPU 2.8 Ghz, 3.0 GB Ram, Free space of 97.5 GB) can I upgrade to windows 7 or 8, with this computer?
JA: The Computer Technician's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: How Much?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: Dell , optiplex 755, running widows Vista
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like upgrade windows on this computer if possibly.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 12 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to answer this for you!

Technically, you could install Windows 7 or 8 on the machine but the problem you would run into is that not all of your hardware would work. Dell only provides drivers for Windows XP and Windows Vista for that particular model.

For that reason, I cannot advise that you drop to upgrade the operating system. Not only would the computer not work 100% after the upgrade but you would also have to purchase the operating system. I would instead advise that you invest that money and effort into a new machine with modern hardware and Windows 10.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you!

NOTE: If you have no further questions on this, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better to end our session for now. I will stand by until the answer has been rated.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 12 days ago.

Are you still with me? Do you have any further questions on this?

If not, please remember to rate the answer at least 3 STARS at the top of the page for me to end our session.