Cris
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience:  10 years of IT experience in both business and residential.
10156100

After the news about hacking computer I am concerned with my

After the news about hacking computer I am concerned with my PC status. Last Saturday I checked my windows automatic updates and saw that one related to windows 10 reached a 97% Installation and failed. I don't know if that contained the "patch" as a result of the hackers. My laptop was working but after the news I turned it off and haven't tried to turned it on since I am afraid my computer would be affected. What should I do?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: Dell Inspiron 15 PC Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, but the only one was a long one re Windows 10 but failed
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My Laptop is slow and kind of old bought in 2010. But when I took it to Microsoft store they upgraded to windows 10 and it has worked well, but slow

Hi there, I am Cris and will be more then glad to assist you with your question and concerns.

The news over the weekend about ransonware and hackers can be very scary. The update released was not specifically intended for this purpose or to protect you. Instead you must rely on a good antivirus software with firewall to notify or alert you of anything harmful on your PC.

Also the slowness on your PC could be caused by malware or maintenance needed on your PC. I can definitely assist you with this with a remote connection scan your PC and tune it up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now what do I do. I got a text on my cell. Do I go on here on my iPad? I just mentioned that I am afraid of turning on my PC

No I would have to remote into the PC in question.

A failed update is common that does not mean you have been infected with any ransonware.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have McCaffee antivirus and the firing wall. I run a full scan last Saturday and no virus or malware was found. You mean I can start my PCnow?

Yes you can.

Also McAfee is a popular antivirus but ranks low in detection and removal rate.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it safe to turn on the Pc?

Yes it is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just turned it on but takes time
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK ready.

Please accept the offer so I can send a link for remote support.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vulnerability scan is running. Some warning re Microsoft word
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is installing 13 updates

OK, that is fine. It is installing the updates you downloaded previously.