Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

It died and i"m getting a new one. How do I verify my Office

it died and i"m getting a new one. How do I verify my Office license?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: an desk top mac
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My computer mother board fried and the hard drive froze so I have knw records available. We are purchasing a new Mac today and need the Microsoft lic to have Microsoft added onto the new computer.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

OK... either you will have the information you need in your email account - the one which you registered with Microsoft, back when you first installed MS Office on your defunct (alas) Desktop Mac, whenever that was or about that date ....

...or else you will have to look for the package or box or envelope or CD/DVD folder, in which the MS Office program came and on which the numeric code for reinstalling (not to mention the very valuable install media or CD/DVD disc or discs!) will be.

Look in both places, patiently, and you will probably find what you are looking for.

Let me know if that helps - or, if you need further help and advice, and I will advise you further as needed (or, if all is well, close this case.) Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have the cd we purchased. It's Microsoft Windows 98. Will that do?

Is that what you installed from, on the MAC? of course not. MS Windows 98 won't run on a Mac, at all.

Please look further, that won't be sufficient for Microsoft's rigorous licensing and authorization requirements, unfortunately....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We found an cd for office 2000

Good - that's better. The Apple / Mac edition? OK.

Does it have CD disc(s) or DVD disc(s) to install from? if so, good, but does it have a Install Code, a Product Key, etc., on it? or on its packaging, wrappers, etc.?

If it's just a CD and nothing else, a 'bare CD/DVD', then it won't serve. You install from a disc, but the packaging is where the valuable registering code, key, or Activation Code, is stored and can be gotten from.

Did you buy the Office you used on the defunt Mac Desktop, online? or in a store?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We found the cd for Microsoft office xp 2002

Good... again, any packing with it is the really crucial part. The key you need is NOT on the disc, not on any disc, but on its packaging, original envelope, folder, or even box.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has all the info you mentioned. Are we good? It's labeled a cd case
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. There is a product key on the case. Thanks, Russell!

Excellent... provided that is not a Windows Edition, but an Apple edition, you should be good to go with that. Or, if you have an even more recent edition with the info / packaging needed.

I'm glad to know this is a settled case. Before you go, please rate my answer with the five-star interface - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done on getting you a good useful answer in every detail. Thanks! and have a great day.

Thank you for making good use of the advisory resources of JustAnswer.com. Please feel welcome to return at any time, and as needed, to ask another question, in any one of our numerous categories.