Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Yesterday I found a box on my computer that said I had a

Customer Question

Yesterday I found a box on my computer that said I had a security breach. There was an error nuymber and a statement that said that if action was not taken I could lose files in several of my programs. There was a phone number to call to get help. I don't have the error number or the phone number now. I call the number, the tech accessed my computer and said I had been hacked. He said that he could transfer me to a higher level tech who could take care of the problem for $249.00. I was suspicious of this and ended the call. Does this sound legitimate or was I talking to a hacker?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I have a HP desktop computer and use windows 10.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is 100% a scam.
This is what is known as "phone phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.

Basically what they will do is say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the Windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.

Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever do business in such a manner.

You were wise to end the call.