Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Product Developer at Computer Science Corporation
94617175

Just now Eudora 7.1.?? stopped working. It will load

Hi Pearl, Just now Eudora 7.1.?? stopped working. It will load normally, show my home screen briefly, then vanish. I uninstalled, then reinstalled, but it does the same thing. No other recent installs. Am running Malware Bytes at the moment.
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And how long has the screen been an issue?
Customer: XP3 on a Dell Desktop I have been running this program for years. The issue began 15 minutes ago. Reboot did not help.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I am aware.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I was trying to send a few pics and Eudora said it could not find the location of them. Then it froze and I had to terminate the program in task manager. That was the end of that.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

I can remotely connect to your computer and see how we can fix it.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello Bhavik,Thank you for responding. I am not in the habit of opening my machine to people I know, let alone those I do not know. Nothing personal, just had a few bad experiences in my life. There are only so many things that will cause a program to start then stop, spontaneously. I would prefer to work through the options in leisure mode, with your guidance. Otherwise, I learn nothing, but dependency. Can you do that?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your offer. Though you may be worth the $39, Eudora is not. Sorry.

Alright, I got your point. I really appreciate it. Sure ,I will try my best to instruct you. The notification you got for remote screen sharing was automated notification by JustAnswer

Let's get started...

1. Install CCleaner and run it to check registry errors,remove unwatend internet files ,uninstall unused programs,Remove unwanted startup items.

Do this cleanup and remove as much as you can and only leave those programs which you use. Also make sure that you do not remove any system software or Drivers.

You can download it for free from below link :-

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

After cleaning, Restart your PC and check if the issue is resolved. If not, Try to open your PC in SAFE mode and then check if the problem still persist.

Let me know how this goes.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Well a fix has transpired and my story goes something like this. I had run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, which removed a good bit of stuff, but did not help. I ran CCleaner and it killed a bunch of stuff from Google Earth. At this point, Eudora would start up and stay running, but was totally unresponsive. All I had was cursor, but no pointer.Post CCleaner the pointer returned, without function in Eudora. Had to kill program with Task Manager. Did reboot and Eudora is back and running. In retrospect, I remembered how this all began. I was sending attached photos from a CD, with a letter, when I got an error message. So I gather I must transfer all attachment to my C drive, before attaching and sending.Thank you for your help.Nick
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sigh. I guess it is not over yet. I tried to see if pasting attachments from the CD drive was the cause of the problem and it seems that it is. Now I can no longer paste anything into Eudora. We beat on the machine a bit and get back to you.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
As it stands, Eudora works fairly well, in that I can pull down emails, send emails and type whatever I want in the body of the letter. I am unable to paste copied text, but can paste a jpg or Print Screen and send it. When I try to paste text, either nothing happens or it tells me there has been an exception and Eudora closes down, with or without the "send this to Microsoft Window".There is no difference running in Safe Mode. This time running CCleaner did not help nor did Eusing's Registry Cleaner. Reran SuperAntiSpyware, without help. Interestingly I can paste text into any portion of the email header, To, Subject, CC, etc.A Quick Scan, with Avast Free Antivirus, was negative. Can no longer Print Screen from Eudora to Word file. It just does not paste, as it used to. Print Screen will paste into Paint. Well enough rambling for one night. I shall await your next suggestion.Nick

Okay. Nice attempt and thanks for brief description.

I would suggest you to delete the Eudora .ini file . This file contains your Eudora settings , After deleting this file , All the settings will be set to defaults and then you can set those settings again. You won't lose any of your emails by doing so.

Do that by holding down the shift and ctrl buttons while going to tools options. It makes a backup file
so you can always go back if it doesn't help.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Good morning Bhavik,
Deleting the .ini file did not seem to change things. I can paste into the header, but not the body of the email. What it the easiest way back to the original .ini file, just delete the new .ini and rename the backup file?

Okay, Easiest way to backup is to copy and paste it and rename that file to some other name.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
First I need to find the back up file that Eudora made. I find a Eudora.ini and a Eudini.sav in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora. Also I find a Eudora.log and an Exception.log, for future reference. Do I eliminate the Eudora.ini and rename the Eudini.save to Eudora.ini?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OK. I got brave and just did it. Worked. Now back to being able to paste into Eudora. Would there be a time, when I could just sit down with you and chat, rather than the hit miss contact we enjoy, at the moment? If not, no problem. I like learning about this stuff, as best I can, though I may be a little slow.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I forgot to mention that I am on MST in the U.S.

That's great to hear !! Nice Execution. Yes, Let's setup a meeting , I am in IST time zone.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It appears that at the moment your time is almost 10 PM and mine is 10:30 AM. How late do you stay up at night? We could chat some morning at 9 AM my time? Have time now?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Since I am a "night owl" (stay up late) perhaps we could meet Monday morning at 8:30 AM your time?
Nick

Hi

Are you available ? I got later. Sorry.

Are you available now ?

One more thing, If you can discuss over phone then it would be really good. I am sending you small offer to you for this.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Available now. Good morning

hi

Is this is a right time to call ?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm up. Go for it.

calling..

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK. 8.0b9 is loaded and downloading all of the inbox from the server.

ok

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is it possible to transfer the old folders into the new version?

Which folder you are talking about ? Is it a mail folders within Inbox ?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I seem to be able to paste Print screens, text and URLs, as well has copy from Eudora to other programs. I wrote incorrectly. I am referencing various files, such as .toc and .mbx files, which contain specific emails from specific people, removed from the inbox.

Alright !!

Yes, I think you should be able to import these files.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is that just a copy & paste? If so, where do put them in the new version?

http://comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows.narkive.com/Gtsk6LZf/mailbox-files-with-001-002-extensions-eudora-6-2-anyone-seen-this

Please check above link, You just need to rename them to use it again. They are your backups.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I checked the link, but still do not understand where to put the files. My program is here: C:\Program Files\Eudora 8.0 Beta 9. My old data files are here: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Qualcomm\BackUp. The only mailboxes showing are In & Out, with only the In box showing mail, which it just downloaded from the Juno server. I renamed 2 of the files, with .001, but no change.

1. QUIT Eudora. Do Not Leave Eudora running.

2. Open the directory that Eudora is installed in.

3. Find the .MBX and .TOC files for the mailbox that used to have your mail. For example, if the mail is missing from your In mailbox, look for the files in.mbx and in.toc.

4. Make backup copies of the .MBX and .TOC files right now. Move them into another safe directory – such as your Desktop. Make absolutely sure that you’ve made a backup copy of the files.

5. Back in your Eudora directory, delete the .TOC file for the corrupted mailbox. Do not delete the .MBX file – only the .TOC file. For example, if the mail is missing from your In mailbox, delete the in.toc file from the Eudora directory. Do not delete the In.mbx.

6. Now start Eudora and open the corrupted mailbox. It may give you an error message that the mailbox needs to be rebuilt – tell it to create a new table of contents.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My current Eudora Directory has no .toc or .mbx files. See attached screen shot

let me call you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK

calling

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hey Bhavik,All went well. It took almost an hour to import the old mailboxes, but they all work. I guess we are all done.Thanks again for getting me out of that one.Nick
Alright!! It was great working with you. Glad that I could help you in it.