Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have an old Toshiba laptop using Vista Home Premium

I have an old Toshiba laptop using Vista Home Premium (32-bit) with Mozilla/Firefox as the ISP. Mozilla is ending support for Vista and said to upgrade to at least Windows 7. The only thing I use this computer for is to play music videos from YouTube. How can I upgrade this computer to Windows 7?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: I'm not a computer person, so bear with me. The model is 205A Satellite and is Vista Home Premium.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Windows updates stopped in May, 2016. Mozilla still installs updates frequently. Today was the most recent Mozilla update.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: How can I get upgraded to Windows 7 so I can continue with Mozilla?

I'm sorry about the issue. Unfortunately, Microsoft does not sell Windows 7 any more. But don't worry, even when Mozilla ends support for Windows Vista, your computer will not get new updates from Mozilla, but you will still be able to use your old / current Mozilla Firefox version for accessing the Internet on your Vista computer.

Please let me know if you have any further question. Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Justanswers.com. I am reviewing your question and will be with your shortly.

The previous expert is correct, you can no longer purchase/upgrade to windows 7 from Microsoft. Purchasing the current operating system Windows 10 from Microsoft will coast $120. What I would recommend based off your needs of only using the computer to play YouTube videos and such, is to purchase a device such as a web book. This will give a more modern and faster device that will have update software. Furthermore these devices can be readily purchased for between 100 & 200 dollars both online and at a local retailer such as best buy. Please see the following link as a reference http://www.bestbuy.com/site/all-laptops/chromebooks/pcmcat244900050010.c?id=pcmcat244900050010 . I hope this answers your question and provides you with some options going forward, if you feel I have answered your question please rate my customer service on this question, and Thank You!

Microsoft does have the latest Windows 10 version. However, I don't recommend upgrading your old Toshiba Satellite computer model A205 to the latest Windows 10 version because of compatibility issue. Toshiba does not have the drivers / software for Windows 10 for your computer model, so it may cause some functions not to work on your computer and it may slow down your computer as it has older hardware components . Also, upgrading to Windows 10 will cost you.

- Another option is to buy Windows 7 online from somewhere else, such as at the ebay.com website, but that will cost you also.

- Per my recommendation, you do not need to spend money for purchasing Windows 7 or 10. The old / current Mozilla Firefox version will still be working fine on your computer even when Mozilla ends support for Vista.

- Do you have any further question? And/or do you need anything else for now?

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help.

You're very welcome. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit. Thank you very much,

Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.