Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

I encrypted an excel spreadsheet and now can't open it with

I encrypted an excel spreadsheet and now can't open it with the password ***** thought I used - how can I either unencrypt or find the correct password.
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Excel are you using?
Customer: a macbook pro and excel for Mac 2011 version 14.7.2
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I'm up to date with MSFT Office as of earlier this week
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How did you encrypt the spreadsheet, using what package, or what program, or what menu option, etc.? this is important to figuring out how to decrypt or 'crack' the encryption.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I selected print from excel, selected pdf and then selected security options - created a password ***** saved it as a pdf.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I do not want to provide remote access to my machine.

Thank you - you may ignore the solicitation for additional services (and with them, charges). I did not send that message to you, the website system did. (And I have no control over such messages.)

OK, so it is a PDF rendition encrypted by your own Excel program.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I believe so, though I may have done it when I was saving the spreadsheet and selected "options" and then selected to encrypt the sheet as read only. Not sure - haven't encountered this problem before.

OK. I am looking for a means of cracking or decrypting the spreadsheet, or removing / reversing the process if possible.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I've solved the problem - found a copy! Thank you for your effort.

Protection - Unprotect Sheet

might do it. But it's good that your problem is solved. Before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done on solving your problem. Thanks!