Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My computer had alarms going off earlier today and I could

Customer Question

My computer had alarms going off earlier today and I could not shut it off. It said to call 1(###) ###-####to fix problem. It was not a telephone call but all these alarms on Microsoft Windows 10 were going off. It said Microsoft on the upper right hand corner. I called and the guy told me my computer was being hacked by Europe and I had to install Internet Security software, He offered $599 for a 5 year security and 849.99 for a lifetime security spyware. I asked if this was a scam and he said No. I was scared and I thought I needed to do this and they took about 70 minutes to secure my computer. I would not give them a credit card number. I gave them a personal check with my bank account info to pay for it. The guy said I had a 30 day warranty. The name of their company is Evo Tech Solutions and I talked to a technician named Ben Joans. Is Evo Tech Solutions a Microsoft approved source? Did I get Scammed? If so, what do I need to do to get this fixed? Should I call my Bank? I am just worried I got scammed. Please Let me know what I need to do? Thank You. David Cronin e-mail:***@******.***
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is a HP Pavilion and it is running Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Computer
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 2 months ago.

Dear Client,

I am sorry to hear about that problem. My name is***** am a tech expert with 17 years of experience and will help you as good as I can.

Yes, this, unfortunately, is a SCAM indeed and has been going on for years already. What you should first do, is to make sure they cannot take that money from you by calling your bank! Then, I would recommend to connect to your computer remotely and see if they have changed anything, installed malware or made a backdoor so that they could get back in. What do you think?

Please type in the box below, then click on the "Send" button to send me your reply.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck