Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Toshiba Laptop Model: Satellite C655D running

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba Laptop Model: Satellite C655D running Windows 7. The 4 biggest programs I run are Windows 10, Acrobat 10 (I think), Publisher 10 and Excel. Most of the time I just run Windows and used Google Chrome as my search engine. I run an appliance repair business and capture exploded diagrams from the parts places to do my work to add to my notes. My processor is AMD E-300 APU and I have RAM of 4.00 GB (usable 3.60). It's a 64-bit operating system. Okay, the problem is it gets bogged down quicker and quicker. I have a service that takes over remote and this past week they ran anti-malware and anti-virus and cleaned up the system and it ran fine for about a day each. Yesterday I had the same problem so I called again and a guy ran a program to clean up my files. He installed it and said to run it once a week. He also told me to shut it down each night, which I'm doing. I shut it down about 6:30 CST this morning and it ran great all day until about and hour or so ago. I had paused in a youtube training video and when I came back it takes forever to start again. I was making notes and couldn't get the document I had left open to come up. I finally watched the end of the video and closed down the internet, but couldn't close the Word document (I was just doing text notes) and finally had to restart and it closed the program down. (Don't know what I've lost). Anyway, it's working great now, but why is it doing it now within a one-day period? The last guy said the CPU was processing only at about 6-7% and that was real good. It's supposed to have loaded all the updates now for Windows. Oh, and I'm running Norton for anti-virus. But why does it run great for several hours and then just bog down slow as you-know-what? I shouldn't have to restart my computer every few hours.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 14 days ago.

Dear Client,

I am sorry to hear about that problem. My name is***** am a tech expert with 17 years of experience and will help you as good as I can.

May I remotely connect to your computer, so that I can directly analyze and resolve the problems + tune-up the computer for you while you can relax and watch me doing it on your screen? This is a very safe option too because JustAnswer is an A+ accredited business with the BBB, you will be watching your screen, and we will chat there as well so that you will always know what I will be doing next while fixing the problem.
Should you not be interested in this option and would like to solve the problem via this text-based chat instead, just let me know.

Please type in the box below, then click on the "Send" button to send me your reply.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks Lorenz. Just a note, I though it might be a virtual memory problem, but one of the other techs said that wasn't it. And there shouldn't be any viruses at this point. But, yes, go ahead and see what you can find. Like I said, right now it's working great because I just rebooted before I contacted you, but it bogs down after several hours.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Well, I already pay a subscription fee for this service. And I'm paying the other company to come in remote. Can you just give me your best guess at what you think it might be, given the symptoms, and tell me how to fix it? Or, from what I've told you, do you think I need a new computer? I can give you more info--how much hard drive I have left, etc.

I think it is a combination of many things, might still be a virus, might still be malware on it, there might be a process (from whatever program) that has a memory leak which increases to great extends after a few hours, without seeing the computer, I honestly cannot help you at all, that is just the truth. I am an expert for exactly such cases though and would be happy to help you via a remote-assistance, but I understand if you do not wish to do that. In that case, I can opt out from your question and open it up for all other experts once again, though I can pretty much assure you that without taking a look in this case, no one else will be able to advise via text either.

Please let me know what you´d like to do.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay, thanks. I paid them a pretty good chunk of money for a year subscription, and they probably have a file on what they've already done, so I'll go back to them.
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

Hi there

To me is sounds like a background process taking up more and more memory, usually a bug in a program

To test this, do the following

Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if it then runs ok please

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Richard. Thanks. But the two programs it apparently disabled were Acrobat updates (which I don't care about) and Norton Security. I only recently purchased the Norton after a virus. What do you suggest about this? If I disabled Norton and it was slowing down my system, I still need some anti-virus program, right? Also, I'll know in a couple of hours if this really worked, since anytime I restart, etc., it speeds up the system. I also used a disc cleaner that the subscription guys put on my pc about a week ago. Anyway, get back to me, because I need to know your conclusions and I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 days ago.

Thanks

Go back to MSConfig and enable Norton (it should though still be enable as usually it will enable itself)

Is it still ok?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It had been fine all morning (I shut it down again last night) and about a half hour ago I was trying to watch a youtube video. I got impatient and clicked Chrome twice and then it took for ever to open both. I shut one down and the video kept trying to load. So I restarted and it was fine. I have just done what you said, gone through the MSCONFIG thing again and when I got to startup, there was nothing listed to apply or enable. I think, as a whole, it's certainly a lot better but after awhile still runs slow (not as bad as it did, for the most part). So, it looks like Norton isn't running. I haven't backed up my hard drive in ages on an external drive, but I was thinking about doing it again tonight. Would dumping some of these files help, or would I have to dump whole programs?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 days ago.

First try this please

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me how it runs please