Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

My screen on my printer shows no IP address, how do I get

Customer Question

my screen on my printer shows no IP address, how do I get the address back?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What is your printer's maker and model #, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got the printer hooked up again but it doesn't print right which lead to the other problem. Projects get held up in the que and won't print unless I turn the computer off and then on again. I don't know how to fix this.

Is the printer on a wireless connection?

Or, on a USB cable?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a wireless connection
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not wish to have a remote connection at this time thank you

Thank you - you may ignore the solicitation for additional services (and with them, charges). I did not send that message to you, the website system did. (And I have no control over such messages.)

How does the printer 'not print right' ?

And what computer is it printing from, please? Apple, or Windows PC?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for the info. The computer it is printing from is an HP with windows 10.

OK. Thanks for the response.

Further details: What program are you printing from? and, Is the printer on a wireless connection?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The printer is on a wireless connection. Sometimes no matter what program I am printing from it seems to get stuck in que and it will print if I turn off the printer or computer and then turn it back on. If I check to see what is printing it will often be in an error state and takes a long time to delete the project so it will print again.

Please tell me how old the printer is?

(What you describe could be a case of the driver needing to be replaced, or properly installed - if you like, according to a procedure I will give you, step by step, with major likelihood of helping with the problem - but it could also mean, your printer is defective, or possibly your computer might have a virus infection on it.)

What anti-virus software does your computer have on it, and what Firewall, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have Avast anti virus and it has the firewall. I have had this printer for almost one year and it has not had many problems, many of those were just me learning about wireless equipment. How often should drivers be updated?

That depends upon whether there are factors that might cause printer driver corruption present. Having Avast really helps, but there may be other factors present.

Would you like to try replacing the drivers? if so, I will give you detailed instructions, following which will increase the probability of a good result.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
detailed instructions would be nice.

OK. In order for me to prepare instructions for you, I will need to know what your printer's maker name (e.g. Canon, HP, etc.) and model #, is, please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hewlett Packard All In One, PC,23-R

Regrets: that is the model # for the computer.

I would need to know the model of the printer. The driver you need, is specific to the printer, you see.

Let me know, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is an HP OfficeJet 4650
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from both power and computer. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer.

Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel, and remove all entries for your printer and its series in Devices And Printers, by clicking on each icon (or entry) and deleting. (In this case, if there are any scanners shown, or any HP devices, select and then delete those, also.)

Then go to Control Panel, Programs, Programs And Features, and use Uninstall (or Change) to get rid of all programs specific to your printer.

Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-4650-all-in-one-printer-series/5447930

and click once on the link for

HP Officejet 4650 series Full Feature Software and Drivers

then click on the red Download button and follow the download process, getting the driver onto your disk, and completing the download and then starting the driver installation program and following through the process.

That will replace the drivers.

But if you still have problems with your printer, try also getting and using, from that page, under the heading of

Utilities - Diagnostic Tools

the HP Print & Scan Doctor,

which when run on your computer, may help determine what is wrong.

Let me know how things turn out - and if there is a problem at any point, please just stop and let me know, and I will help you further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I will let you know.

OK. By all means, let me know how it goes, once you have tried my instructions. Thanks.