Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I got my Asus a555d about five months ago and only

Customer Question

I got my Asus a555d about five months ago and only downloaded three apps from the Windows store since I got it
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Asus? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: This morning I got a notice my hard drive needed to be repaired and my laptop shut off. When I turned it back on it said self repairing and the screen went black but still lit and it's been that way since around four hours now. What do I do?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: The A555d. No it wasn't allowing me to since the beginning and it's been due for an update for a while.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thank you
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to work with you today!

If I understand correctly, your screen is currently lit up but totally black, is that correct? There's no message of any kind?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
before it shut off it said the hard drive needed to be repaired i asked my brother whos a certified it guy but doesnt have time since he has kids, thhe computer isnt making sounds like the drive is damaged. it is smooth sounding but the os isnt on the computer anylonger what do i do
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the previous os was windows 10 but not an updated version since it was denying me an update. it would give me error messages when i would try to update
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

All right, thank you.

If the machine is still just sitting there with no activity, then at this point you have no choice but to shut it down and turn it back on. So go ahead and just hold the power button down. Eventually the machine should turn off and then bring it back up.

When it comes back up, let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
still nothing
how do i give remote access when im contacting you through a diff pc? what do you need?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello? a little help please? its kind of frustrating that my computer isnt working for the past couple of days
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if i can get u the isbn can u personally access it?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. I'm sorry that you've had to wait. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Remote assistance is not feasible in this case. We can only connect to your computer remotely if you are able to login, establish an internet connection, and run a small program to allow remote access. I will be sure to let customer service know (when we're all done) that you shouldn't be charged for the remote access session. Or, if you prefer, I can offer a phone call in place of the remote session, and then connect later, after our phone call, when you can once again login, to see if I can determine what caused the issue and do any maintenance that needs to be done.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i cant log in or anything do to the fact that my screen is completely black
after startup
Expert:  Byron replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Hold down the power button until the laptop shuts off. About 4 - 5 seconds.

Turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F9 key at the top of the keyboard

to see if it will open a recovery screen.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thats not working
Expert:  Byron replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a VGA monitor you can hook up to the port on the left side of the laptop?

I think it's possible the update is causing the video to be sent out that port.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
tried that. the screen only shows the logo then goes black
Expert:  Byron replied 4 months ago.

OK. Start it back up and start tapping F9 as soon as you see the logo.