IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

How can I keep my kids from accessing the internet. Every

Customer Question

How can I keep my kids from accessing the internet. Every time I use parental controls on my Linksys they hack it or reset the router. Is there any way I can do it on my PC so they can not circumvent it ?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.
Let me know when you could be online so that we can get started to fix this.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
now :)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
sorry I need to walk away. Please give me written instructions
Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

you can change the router security to wpa2 and let the router generate a new password ***** you can note that down and use it when its required, no one can hack into WPA2 security set on the router.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
wonderful... how do I do that
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
also once I do it then will all my parental controls stay enforced ? because they need a password ***** access the internet . they would get on then shut off the parental controls
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
will doing that prevent hacking just by resetting the router to default?
Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

just update the router password ***** WPA2 and thats it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, so what happens if they hit the reset button on the router?
Expert:  Michelle replied 14 days ago.

Reset button will reset every settings in that case and there is no other way one can lock the router.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 14 days ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more.
Please tell me if you still require assistance with the parental controls problem? If yes, let me know if you and your kids only use one computer to access the Internet, or several?

Type your reply below.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
several
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
or is the a way I can have my router set to shut off all internet access during a specific time block? kids these days seem to learn how to circumvent everything
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
as you can see from the previous conversation I was given instructions that could all be undone by resetting the router
Expert:  IT Miro replied 13 days ago.

Hello again! Sorry for the delay in response.

If you and your kids use computers to access the Internet, there is a free program you can install that can completely control the Internet access - which sites to permit, and which to block; when to allow Internet access, and when to block it; etc.

Let me know if your kids only use computers to access the Internet, or they use phones and tablets as well?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They use phones, iPads and laptops
Expert:  IT Miro replied 13 days ago.

Oh, I see. A program installed on a computer can only control Internet access on that computer. If you want to control the Internet access on multiple devices, you will need to do it directly on the router; however, resetting the router to factory defaults will undo any restrictions you have made. To avoid that, you can change the default password ***** accessing the router's web-based configuration page, so that your kids cannot undo the changes or reset the router to factory settings from there, but you may also need to place the router to some other place, perhaps in your room, since your kids can just go to the router and reset the router settings to factory defaults by using the reset button located on the router.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. How do I do this...change the default password ***** accessing the router's web-based configuration page
Expert:  IT Miro replied 13 days ago.

Let me know the make and model of your router and I will provide the instructions for you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 days ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
sorry for the delay . It is a Linksys WRT1900AC
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 days ago.

Hello again!

Here are the instructions on how to change the default router password:

1. Open a web browser and go to this address:

http://192.168.1.1

If that doesn't open anything, go to this one instead:

http://www.linksyssmartwifi.com

2. You will be presented with the router's web-based configuration page, asking you to sign in. Type admin as both User name and Password. If that doesn't sign you in, type admin as User name and password as Password

3. When signed in, you can view and change the router settings. To change the default password ***** accessing the router, click on Connectivity located under the Router Settings section on the left. The icon looks like two screws

4. When the Connectivity page opens, click on Edit for "Router Password"

5. Now type a new password ***** will be used for accessing the router

6. When done, click OK to save the changes and that's it

Now only you can access the router and change the settings.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 day ago.

Hello again!

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 hour ago.
thank you, ***** ***** already done all that. I guess my only answer is to lock it in a box.
Customer: replied 1 hour ago.
If I reset all my passwords don't they need a password ***** access the WiFi? I need to give them access for homework exedra without them being able to hack into it and turn off the parental controls