Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I was contacted online by a person claiming to be a

Customer Question

I was contacted online by a person claiming to be a Microsoft engineer attempting to protect my computer from from viruses and invasions. I let him in, but decided it may be a scam and disconnected.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: I am not sure. It is a Dell computer I bought a year or so ago at Comcast.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, unless this guy did.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 16 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. You absolutely did the right thing. Microsoft will contact you like that. Hopefully you disconnected before they installed anything. If you would like I can take a look for you, or I can provide detailed instructions for thoroughly scanning and cleaning your computer of any malware, spyware, or viruses that they may have installed or that you may have gotten in some other way.

In order to provide the best possible help, I will need to know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/