Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I need to be able to use my Canon Printer with my new Acwe

Customer Question

I need to be able to use my Canon Printer with my new Acwe Chromebook. I bought an Insignia cord to connect the Chromebook to the Canon MG6320 printer, but I still cannot print any of the Google docs I have created.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: An Acer Chromebook 14
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The first question is: whether your particular Canon printer is capable of connection to Google Cloud.

Printers don't run directly off a Chromebook, at all. They have to be networked printers, that are either capable of a Cloud connection, or are hooked up to a computer that has a Cloud connection and has allowed Sharing of that printer also.

(Note: if hooked up to a computer with a Google Cloud connection, then that computer needs to have its firewall software allow the connection to Google Cloud of the printer attached to it.)

The first step is, to get it connected to the Google Cloud facility... this means it must be connected by wireless or wired means to your local internet router.

OK so far?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay

You may have to update your printer's firmware for it to be Google Cloud-ready (and thus usable 'directly', as opposed to through a computer, for a Chromebook.)

That's risky.

But to check whether it is necessary: Do you know how to read of your printer's current firmware version?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thank you. ***** ever contacted you. This is a ripoff.

JustAnswer is not a 'ripoff' at all, I assure you. I was only beginning to advise you as to what to do to get your Chromebook printing to your Canon printer (if it is possible. Chromebook compatibility is limited to some models, but by no means all.)

If I may offer further help, let me know.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com.