Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

How do you set up mic on my windows 10? Windows 10, no, Yes

Customer Question

How do you set up mic on my windows 10?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes How do I change the passwords on my email account?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Please follow below steps to setup mic :-

1. Right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom-right part of the screen.

2. Click on ‘Recording Devices‘.

3. A list of recording devices will appear. Try speaking into your microphone, and see if there any green bars rising next to one of them while you talk (as in screenshot).

4. If you don’t see any green bars skip to step 5.

If you do see green bars when you talk into the microphone, but it still doesn’t work in some program, then that means that the mic is correctly configured in Windows, but the program is listening to the wrong recording device. Try changing your program’s settings.

5. Check if you can recognize which one of the devices in the list is your microphone. If you found it, click on it to highlight it,and then click Set Default.

6. Check again if you see green bars rising when you talk into the microphone. If you do your mic is now correctly setup. If not, continue to next step.

7. Double-click on the device that represents your microphone. The Microphone Properties window will appear. Click the Levels tab.

8. In the levels tab, drag the slider all the way to the right, until the number on the right says “100“.

9. Click OK.

10. Now check again if you see green bars rising when you talk into the microphone: if you do, your mic is now properly configured.

11. If you still don’t see any bars, and you’re not 100% sure which one of the devices is the relevant one, try following steps 5-10 for every device on the list.

12. If you still don’t see any green bars, left-click inside the Recording tab and make sure that “Show Disabled Devices” has a tick next to it. If it doesn’t click on it to tick it.

13. This might add extra devices to the list. Perform steps 5-10 on those devices too, until you see the green bars when talking into the mic.

14. That’s it, check if it works. If it doesn’t, please try uninstalling your drivers and then letting Windows automatically reinstall them.

Did this help you to fix the issue with mic . If you wish, I can remotely connect with you as well.