comp_audio
comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.
44312836

I have an Idea Pad Model 20289. My keys are sticky from a

Customer Question

I have an Idea Pad Model 20289. My keys are sticky from a spill and I need to get instructions on how to clean the keys
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your IdeaPad?
Customer: 20289
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I think they install regularly
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  comp_audio replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today. Please give me a minute to review your issue and get back to you. Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is to replace the keyboard. They can be bought fairly cheap here on Amazon. All I did was a search for Idea u530 keyboard.

If you want I can get you instructions on how to replace it too. But let me know if you would like to go that route. Thanks

There are no specific instructions on just the keyboard, however there is a service manual and video which shows you how to take it apart, and if you have any technical ability or friends that do they can do this and replace the keyboard fairly easy with using both of the links provided.

The other option here is to take it apart and run just the keyboard under warm to hot running water for about a minute, wait a couple minutes, do it again then use a air compressor on low pressure or canned air or blow dryer to blow all excess water out and and then let it dry for a day or more before putting it back together. Again only do this if your taking it apart, do not try to run the keyboard under hot water while it is still installed in the laptop.

Let me know your thoughts.