Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a Lenova All-in-one style PC, model family C440. I

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Lenova All-in-one style PC, model family C440. I believe it's running Windows 10 now. Recently I had some kind of issue (I've already forgotten what started it) that made me decide to try to do a system restore to a previously working "image." Big mistake. Now the thing flashes constantly, longer off than on, and I can only complete some minor tasks very slowly by waiting until I can see where my mouse is, then moving it, then repeating, etc. I tried some suggestions from the Lenovo website to get into safe mode, but that wasn't fruitful, although I can't be certain I executed everything in the correct order due to the continued flashing. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello. I'll check, but I don't think that PC connects to the internet anymore. In fact, that may have been what I was trying to troubleshoot when I did the system restore. The computer that I'm writing this question on is a mac.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked. There's no internet. The message on the Chrome browser window is "There is no internet connection."

Please, do the following:
- Hold down the two following keys at the same time: Windows key and the letter R
- In the box that comes up, type: msconfig
- Click the Ok button.
- Click the Boot tab
- Put a check in the "Safe boot" box.
- Click Apply
- Click Ok
- Restart the computer.

Did that boot into safe mode?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it says "Safe Mode" above the windows icon in the lower left. Still flashing.

I am sorry for the wait. My day has just begun, so I will be here for the next 12 to 13 hours.

First, we have to get back into safe mode, so do the following:

Please, do the following:
- Click the Ok button.
- Click the Boot tab
- Put a check in the "Safe boot" box.
- Click Apply
- Click Ok
- Restart the computer.

Now when you are in safe mode, do the following:

- Click the Ok button.

- Click the Services tab.

- Uncheck the two following line items:

Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support

and

Windows Error Reporting Service

- Click the Apply button.

- Click the Ok button.

- Restart normally.

Once that comes up, did that fix the problem?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, still blinking. Dang it. And it still says Safe Mode, in case that's significant. I rebooted from the dialog window that came up after I'd clicked the last OK button step in your instructions. Thanks for your patience and persistence.

Was it still blinking the time before when you first got into Safe Mode?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It hasn't stopped blinking since it first started.

I am sorry for the confusion. When you mentioned that Safe Mode worked, I thought it sounded like you were saying it worked in Safe Mode correctly.

Please, follow the instructions below:

- In the box that comes up, type: devmgmt.msc
- Click the Ok button.
- Click the plus sign next to Display Adapters
- Right click the item under the Display Adapter's heading.
- Choose Uninstall. Uninstall Device. Do this for each device under the display adapter heading.
- Once all devices are gone, restart the computer normally.

When it comes back up, please report back with your status.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will do.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, I went through the steps. Only one device appeared in the Display Adapters list (Intel HD graphics something or other). Deleted it. Restarted. Still flashing. Repeated the steps again. Still nothing. Freaky!

Do you recall what may have happened or what may have been done to the computer that may have caused this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know that I executed a system restore because I couldn't get something working. It might have been that I was troubleshooting its internet connection, or it might have been something else that I tried to do but have forgotten what. (I don't use my PC much -- it was a few months ago when it happened -- I just gave up and tried to forget about it -- but now I need the PC again.) Whatever the case, the restore apparently encountered a problem. I believe it may have messaged me to that effect, but whatever options it gave me to resolve the issue (if any) resulted in the flashing. I'm wondering if I should try to do another restore? If so could you walk me through those steps?

Please, follow the instructions below to solve your problem:
- Hold both of the two following keys at the same time: Windows Key and the letter R key
- In the box that comes up, type the following and click OK: rstrui
- Choose to Restore to an earlier time > Click Next.
- Choose a date at least one week before you started experiencing your problem.
- Click NEXT > NEXT > NEXT.
- Your computer will restart and your issue will be gone.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. That took care of the issue! Thanks.