GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

I have a Lenovo tablet, Android. About half the time when I

I have a Lenovo tablet, Android. About half the time when I search for something using Google, instead I get a series of ads that flash and say things like "Your computer has a virus, click here and download our fixer". I know these are phishing "bad" ads; they're completely different from the legitimate ads I know to expect when I open USA Today app, for example. When these "bad" ads come on, window after window opens in seconds, and I can't get back to the website I was looking for unless I close everything and start all over. The diverting seems to occur randomly; sometimes I can do a search for something just fine, and then another time, same search terms or website, and it's diverted. These are normal, respectable searches and websites I'm trying to get to, I'm not doing bizarre searches! I tried an ad-blocking search engine but it didn't work well and I really want to be able to do my searches using Google. How can I make these "bad" ads stop hijacking my Google searches?

Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem.

If you're seeing some of these problems with Google Chrome, you might have unwanted software or malware installed on your computer:

• Pop-up ads won't go away.
  • Your Chrome homepage or search engine keeps changing or is not set to Google anymore.
  • Unwanted Chrome extensions or toolbars keep coming back.
  • You keep getting redirected to unfamiliar webpages.

Here are some steps you can take to get rid of unwanted software. In the future, avoid malware by only downloading files or visiting sites that you know are secure.

Step 1: Remove unwanted programs from Chrome (Windows only)

If you use a Windows computer, the Chrome Cleanup Tool searches your computer for suspicious programs and offers to remove them for you. Learn more about what programs are removed.

If you use a Mac or Linux computer, move on to Step 2.

1. On your Windows computer, visit the Chrome Cleanup Tool website.
  2. Click Download now.
  3. Read the terms of service, and click Accept and Download.
  4. When the file is downloaded, you'll see it at the bottom. Click the filename (chrome_cleanup_tool.exe).
  5. Windows will ask if you want to run the file. Click Run.
  6. The Chrome Cleanup Tool will scan your computer. You'll see a list of any malicious software found.
  7. Click Remove suspicious programs.
  8. Chrome will open a new tab, and ask you to reset your settings. Click Reset.

Step 2: Reset your browser settings

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More .
  3. Select Settings.
  4. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  5. Under the "Reset settings" section, click Reset settings.
  6. Confirm by clicking Reset.

Please give this a try and let me know the results.

Please give this a try and let me know the results. If this resolves your problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. If you need more help, there are a few malware and spyware removal tools that we can try that may help. In order to direct you to the correct version of the toold I will need to know whether you have an Android OS on your Lenovo tablet or a version of Windows.

I am committed to working with you until your problem has been resolved. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you! If you're not sure, please let me know the model number of the tablet and I should be able to find out.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
This looks like what I need, but the Lenovo tablet is Android.

Great. Please follow the instructions for step 2. I will provide links to the tools that you can use to do further cleanup in case you continue to experience problems. Please give me just a moment to type them up.

You'll need Ccleaner form the Google PLay Store. If you'd some information on it before downloading it, please the click the link below:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner-android

You'll also need Malware Bytes AntiMalware.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.antimalware&hl=en

Once you've installed and run both of these utilities, please restart your tablet. This should take care of any remaining issues.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I downloaded CCleaner and clicked Analize. Now it says Analysis completed, but I have to choose what to select to have cleaned up before I can click "Clean." The choices are Browser History, Downloads, Bluetooth, Processes, Google Maps cache. Should I Select All and then click Clean?

Yes, I recommend selecting all.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I've finished the Ccleaner cleanup, and now I've downloaded the Malware Bytes. I'm in the middle of having the Malware Bytes scan everything, and I notice there's an app on the tablet called Yanex Search which seems to be a Russian search engine which I don't remember downloading. Should I uninstall that? Or is it something respectable and necessary?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Yandex Search not Yanex.

I recommend removing that.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I'm looking for a way to uninstall a program on the tablet, but I can't figure out what to look in.

Let's give this a try:

To uninstall Apps or programs:

Step 1: Tap Settings.

Step 2: Tap Apps, tap the to-be-deleted App on the right.

Step 3: Tap Uninstall.

Step 4: Tap OK.

Note: System programs and Apps coming with factory settings can NOT be uninstalled. Please let me know if this does the trick for you or not. Thanks!

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Oddly, Yandex doesn't appear in the list of apps. But Malware Bytes showed it appearing in a list of apps that would need permissions. Anyway, now I've run the Malware Bytes scan and it says nothing bad was found. So I tried a Google search, the first one went directly to correct search results. I thought it was fixed...but then I tried a second search and I got a whole string of websites one after another with the last one being "Congratulations Lenovo User! Click Spin to pick your reward!" What else can we do to stop this?

That is very puzzling. Can you tell me please the exact model of your Lenovo tablet?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Lenovo Tab 2 A10

Thank you. Let's try this:

1. Click the menu icon "" at the top right of the browser window, choose "Tools" and choose "Extensions" to open a new "Options" tab.
  2. Uncheck "Enabled" to disable an extension, or click "Remove" to delete it completely.
  3. Enter "chrome://plugins/" in Chrome's address bar to view plugins that add compatibility and functionality, such as Apple QuickTime or Adobe Flash,
  4. Click the "Disable" link under the plugin you want to disable.

Next, let's look at your default search engine:

From the extensions menu you were just visiting, click on “Settings” on the left hand side of the menu. A list of settings comes up, choose “Search.” A drop-down box lets you pick your favorite. If it’s not something recognizable like Google, Bing, or Yahoo!, then change it to whichever you prefer.

An optional follow-up step is to completely remove the offending search provider(s). Choose “Manage Search Providers” and all the way to the right of a provider’s name there will be an X. Click that, and the provider goes away.

As a final step, lets check the Home Page settings:

or this step, you’ll want to check two spots in Chrome:

First, visit the “On Startup” section in Chrome’s settings. If “open a specific page or set of pages” is the chosen option, click “set pages” and make sure none of them look strange; if they do, remove them and set them back to whatever you like.

Second, under the “Appearance” header in the settings, choose to show the home button. Again, if the page listed here looks weird to you, change it and you’re good to go.

Let's give these steps a try and let em know the results. If this does not resolve the problem then we will need to consider resetting your tablet to factory defaults.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I should add that I did Restart before I tried the searches, and the problem still occurred, but I continued to try more searches, about 20 so far, and got one more bad result, so that's an average of 1 in 10 bad results instead of 1 in 2. I'm thinking I should keep trying it through the afternoon and get back to you tomorrow to see how it's doing?

That will be fine if you'd like to do that. I'm just a afraid that if we don't make sure that it's gone entirely, it may eventually get bad again. Of course, you can just print these instructions to refer to in the future if that should happen. Please keep me posted.

Would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. Rating my service does not close the question. It will remain open and i will continue to work with you until your problem is completely resolved.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I'd like to go ahead and follow your latest suggestions while everything is fresh in memory, it's just that I won't be able to do that for about an hour. Will you still be there?

Yes, I will still be here. Just let me know if you have any questions during the process.