Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

McAfee was accidentally uninstalled/deleted. It's paid for.

Customer Question

McAfee was accidentally uninstalled/deleted. It's paid for. How do I get it back?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Had it for a couple of years but am still baffled at times. Left tech knowledge behind when I retired !
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Had computer "fixed" by a firm Called "Alphainfosystem.co" on 12/20 to the tune of $229.99 (based in India supposedly "with" Microsoft). Did I fall for an expensive scam?
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Computer slow to come to life when I turn it on. Everything else seems to be OK except my McAfee is gone>
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.
Let me know when you could be online so that we can get started to fix this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am now online. What do we do now??
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

When did you purchase Mcafee?

Do you have a purchase email?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much more money do I have to spend to get something that I have already paid for?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

you have lost Mcafee and you have paid for this service to get it back and installed however if you are seeing any other service offer then it must be an additional service which is optional to accept or deny.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

When did you purchase Mcafee?

Do you have a purchase email?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Renewed McAfee 10/26/16.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Click on the link and login to the Mcafee account and if you have not registered register it now and then you will be able to download your licensed Mcafee to your computer.

https://home.mcafee.com/secure/protected/login.aspx?rfhs=1

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Michelle- I logged into my account and successfully located my subscription, however after following the setup prompts, McAfee shows a blank white screen and won't finish downloading. Also, McAfee nor any of its extensions are visible in my control panel programs.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

would you like me to remote connect and check the problem and fix it for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** far too expensive for the minuscule nature of the problem. I believe the problem lies in my computer's capabilities, not the software itself; but it may not be downloading because the Setup is sensing McAfee products that are already on my laptop. Sometimes, products will not install until any previous attempts to install the program are deleted. I also fear that malware may be blocking the installation of McAfee. How Ironic.-Virginia
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Try to download and run adwcleaner from the link given below.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ran Adwcleaner and it detected 23 threats. I cleaned them all, restarted my computer, and tried to re-download the software. On my McAfee account in my web browser, it says that my subscription is installed, and asks if I would like to reinstall. Even though this is what it claims, I cannot open the program on my computer, and the download fails when it gets to the end every time. What next?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

I can diagnose and check the problem if you accept remote assistance and fix it for you. There will be no charger if the issue is nit resolved.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't want to pay "no charger" if you can "nit" fix it. If this an example of your assistance- no thanks.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

dont opt for a remote additional charge i will walk you through over the chat session.

Let me know what going on and where the problem is now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ran Adwcleaner and it detected 23 threats. I cleaned them all, restarted my computer, and tried to re-download the software. On my McAfee account in my web browser, it says that my subscription is installed, and asks if I would like to reinstall. Even though this is what it claims, I cannot open the program on my computer, and the download fails when it gets to the end every time.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Dont worry you need to run another tool after that reinstall Mcafee and it will work.

Uninstall Mcafee and reboot the computer after that open google type in malawarebytes download install and download it and run a complete scan.