Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

Happy new year - black screen at startup or awaken computer,

Customer Question

happy new year - black screen at startup or awaken computer
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: dell - desktop and monitor with windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes and done driver updates avg computer check etc
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is this included with the answer fee of $43 zzz//
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Do you see any startup information flash on the screen during startup or even see a flashing cursor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
neither - after 3-5 on/off of the monitor it is normal screen
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry but can't afford that at the moment, can you send instructions?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

You may disregard the Premium Service Offer for Remote Support. That is an automated popup initiated by the web site.

When you say the monitor is normal, what does that mean?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
by normal screen I mean just a regular display of desktop and normal operation of any website etc.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Okay so is the monitor operating normally then?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this problem began about a month ago which prompted me to run AVG for viruses etc and further invest in AVG pc tuneup and invest in a driver update program - ran all these and then I come to you after searching the web and seeing others with this problem - i have only one monitor
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the monitor is normal ONLY after turning it off 3-5 times / but after every time i wake the computer after sleep mode or restart so that is NOT normal
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Okay I was just trying to understand what you were seeing, and you are right! That is not normal!! How old is your computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the only info i can find on the computer for age is Bios Version/date 2010 - I'm 68 and time goes by too fast sooooo, It may be 7yrs old.... don't remember
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Okay, that is probably pretty close. Your monitor may be failing? Do you have another you can try to see if it does the same thing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, but I have noticed in a search that this is a problem for many with varying answers too technical for me. Is there nothing that you know I can try or look for to try? If not I appreciate your attention up to now but apparently there is nothing you can do.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Well if it takes several times of cycling the power on and off to make the monitor display come on, that is never a good sign. You can check the video cable at the monitor and computer end to make sure it is tight. You can also make sure your computer's software is up to date. I can assist you with that but it would most likely require me connecting to your computer and that may not cure the problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Then I suppose that concludes our conversation. Thank you.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

I would be happy to stand by if you want to check the connection?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is tight indeed
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Okay. I think then we are probably back to the monitor failing? It is not uncommon for that to happen.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything more and I would be happy to assist you!