Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Pearl. - Skype account name rpstephens56. I cannot login to

Customer Question

Good morning, Pearl. My name is***** - Skype account name rpstephens56. I cannot login to Skype directly now -- I have to "problem logging in" each time to get to my account. I did have Skype on my Egyptian phone that has an Egyptian phone service, and until I disabled that account, I could not get on to Skype from here in the U.S. at all. Thank you for your help.
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: Yes, I did
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, not recently
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's all. Thank you so much. Have a good day
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please note also that I was able to connect on Skype just fine from my laptop in Egypt. But now that I am back in the U.S. and also have Skype on my Egyptian mobile phone, I can no longer access directly from my home computer here in the U.S.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Egyptian mobile phone has an Egyptian phone service ("Mobilnil" that is now called "Orange").
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com; I am Russell H., an Expert here at JustAnswer.com, and I will do what I can to answer your question as well as it can be answered.

Please describe what happens when you first try to log in to Skype - does it refuse your password, and if so, with exactly what error message response, or error code (if any) ?

When you go to 'problem login', how does going through that get your login back, or get you logged in, please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Skype does not refuse my password. It seems to start to login correctly, then showing my contact list as normal, but then I receive the message: "Skype has stopped working -- A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" If I then go to back to "Problems signing in?" and click on this button, I have to go all the way through the whole problem set of pages before I can login. I never had to do this before, and Skype did not even prompt me for the password ***** time. Thank you for your help.

OK, so it's basically not a login or authorization problem (not apparently), but rather a program crash.

I think the logical thing to try would be to uninstall Skype altogether, then restart the computer (which clears remains of the old program install out of the computer's memory thoroughly, etc.), then download and install a new, but suitable, copy of the Skype program. Install it, configure it as a new installation, see if that cures the problem.

Have you already tried this, if so, did you restart the computer between the uninstall and the reinstall? that can be vital, owing to its 'clearing out' effect.

( Another approach that you could try first (if the program would start at all, which it doesn't) would be to just log out, wait a few minutes, then log in again. But that, I think, isn't possible at this stage. )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK thank you. I haven't tried uninstalling. Will I lose all my current contact information?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
will I lose my current account name and profile?

Let me look up how to be sure you don't lose Skype Contacts, and meanwhile, tell me your Skype program version (if you can tell which it is) and your Windows version on the computer it is installed on. (Or, if an Apple computer, what MAC OS X version it is.)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is Windows 7, but where do I look to determine the Skype version?

Go to

Start

then

Control Panel

then

Programs and Features (or in some, just 'Programs')

then that will (if I remember correctly) show you a list of installed programs. Scroll down to the 'S's and look for Skype, click once on its entry (but not on the buttons in the entry if there are any!) and it should show version information.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It says I have the most recent version, but does not give any other information. Will that do?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Found it. It is Skype 7.30
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, Skype version 7.30.105

OK... I am seeking info on cautions about Contacts, etc.

And will I lose my current account name and profile?

No - that's 'closing your Skype account' not 'uninstalling your Skype software'. Different operation, but look out for 'closing account' as an option and don't select it, it's that simple.

Uninstalling and reinstalling is such a standard operation that Skype themselves have a support page about it.

As for contacts, and chat history etc., you need to do a backup of the 'appdata'\skype folder, which is where such files are, to a separate location altogether on the hard drive, or even to a different device such as a flash drive, before doing the uninstall... then you can restore those files to that folder after the new install is done.

Here's the instructions page for Skype, which will explain the whole process step-by-step faster and better than I can - but ask me for any needed clarification of course:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/how-do-i-uninstall-and-reinstall-skype-for-windows-desktop

A 'simple uninstall' might be good enough. But do the backup first!

And, restart between the backup-then-uninstall, and the reinstall! this can make the process much more likely to succeed.

(Be sure that you know your Skype account name or username, and the password ***** it, before beginning this process, also. In case that needs to be said.)

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.