Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have been days trying to get my outgoing email to work. My

Customer Question

Andy, I have been days trying to get my outgoing email to work. My server is Mediacom and they say its Outlooks settings that are causing the problem. My incoming mail is fine. My outgoing was fine until a couple weeks ago..........
JA: How long has this been an issue?
Customer: for almost two weeks, my outgoing doesn't work on my phone either all started same time.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I have Geek Squad support and they have worked on it at least twice and they said it is my server Mediacom...........but Mediacom says its Outlook, its been a circus with nothing accomplished
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I really don't want to change email providers, want to stay with Outlook
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Hello, how are you today?

Do you know what SMTP server you're currently using so we can see if it's correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
mail.mediacombb.net
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.

May I connect with you directly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Ok type out the mail settings you have it set to so I can verify them (include the ports)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Incomingmail Host Name: mail.mediacombb.net User Name: ***@******.*** Port 995
Outgoingmail: SMTP: mail.mediacombb.net Use: SSL Port 465
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Looks alright, do you have any mail stuck in the Outbox and what error do you get when you try to send?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
error message says: the sender address***@******.*** was rejected by the server
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Delete anything you have in the Outbox and send an email to yourself.

Also, is that your own email address?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its mine but I could send one to my husbands if you would rather
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Send one to yourself so we test both outgoing and incoming

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent it and its now in my outbox
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

What email client (application) are you using, Microsoft Outlook?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Microsoft Outlook 2010
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Refresh your mailbox by pressing the F9 key at the top and tell me what happens with the email in the Outbox

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I sent the email from my phone. I'll gave to try it in Outlook and then do what you just said..........hold on
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

We can't test Outlook from your phone - delete anything in the Outbox on Outlook and make sure it's also not in the Deleted items / Trash then send yourself an email from there. The phone is irrelevant to your computer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I realize that, sorry. I have nothing in trash or outbox, sent an email as you said, absolutely nothing happened. Its not in Outbox nor in sent
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

You mentioned the Geek Squad couldn't fix it via remote - that leaves you with a lot of confidence in me being able to resolve it for you without having a look at it, thank you. It would be a lot easier if I could have a look at it so let me know if you change your mind with that.

So nothing in Outbox, nothing in Sent, how about in the Inbox?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
For some reason, I have two email addresses showing up on left side of my Outlook screen. Those outgoing emails showed up under***@******.*** (1) The other email address is : ***@******.*** which is where I sent the outgoing message from. Why do I have two folders there
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

The simple answer to why you have two folders in there is either you or the Geek Squad added the extra one. You only need one though.

Will I be able to take a look at this myself?

If not I think I will opt out as there are too many possibilities for me to trial and error through it, specially if another technician has already tampered with the mailbox.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't add the extra folder. Those outgoing messages are in the outbox, should I try the F9 key as you asked
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Sure but since you have 2 mailboxes F9 will refresh both so be sure to check both of them thoroughly

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There's nothing in the other boxes. I did the F9 key and nothing happened.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Martin, are you still there?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Yes, I will opt out as I believe I need to have a look at it to assist you without risking the loss of your emails.

What I would have you do is remove one of the accounts to avoid confusion but I can't tell you which one without looking at it - the most logical would be the (1) which might have been added by the previous technicians.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What would a remote session cost?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

The total price of the remote session should reflect on your screen, I can't see it.

The service is guaranteed and fully refundable for up to 30 days

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, sorry but thanks anyway!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll probably have to change email providers.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

I believe I sent you the price with a discount not sure if you got it but have another look just in case

Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

If you're going to change email providers then I'd recommend Gmail, it's free and it always works

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did get it. Thanks but going to probably change email providers, Mediacom has alot of trouble with Outlook. I've just used it for years and didn't want to have to do that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is what I was thinking. Just a pain to change address with everyone.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for trying..........
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Want me to help you with that?