Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My son is trying to play on his XBox 1 and for some reasaon

Customer Question

My son is trying to play on his XBox 1 and for some reasaon this time it is telling him that it cannot connect to the internet and is asking for the password. I no long have the password. How can I retrieve it or rest it?
JA: Have you tested the connections by doing a ping utility test?
Customer: I am not sure what that is. We have unplugged the XBox and checked the internet in settings.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not recently.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that covers it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to justanswer.com. Lets get started.

Who is your internet provider? Does your wifi work on your phone or computer ok?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The provider is Consolidated Communications and I only have wifi for my computer. I would like to rest my password ***** self, but I will need much assistance. $39 is out of my price range!
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Just ignore the $39 premium services don't worry. You do not need those options at this time. I am seriously just wanting to help as we can communicate through these posts.

So just so I am understanding correctly, your wifi is working fine on your computer right? But the xbox 1 is not connecting and is asking for the wifi password *****?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

OK. Do you know your "login ID" which is probably your email address for Consolidated Communications?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My email address is***@******.***. I am do not remember a login ID.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

I was trying to use this site below. However, that "login" doesn't seem to exist. Let me see what else we can try.

http://lnp.consolidated.com/LNP/Account/ForgotPassword.aspx

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Has the xbox 1 ever worked on the xbox 1 before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he was just playing on it last night and it kicked him off/out. he was watching UTube and it kicked him off. Now it will not allow him to play any games. Mine Craft is his primary game!
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

No worries, I understand as I have xbox one and my son and I play mind craft all the time. If your wifi is working on your computer just fine and the xbox has been connected to the wifi before, it might be possible to check a couple settings on the xbox one that we can walk through together and it hopefully wont ask for the password ***** as at this moment I do not have access to ‎Consolidated Communications.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great! How do we get started? Do you need to call my cell phone(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Thats ok. we can try this first:

On the xbox one controler, click the xbox button 2 times, its in the middle of the control (usually the button that is lit up)

Then go down to the "wheel" or "gear" looking icon which is called "settings".

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Then click "A" on the controller on "settings", then click "A" again on "all settings"

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Done
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Let me know when you are in settings, as I don't want to go to fast :)

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

OK. next.....

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Find network on the left side menu and click "A" on "network"

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Then "a" on network settings

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
done
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

ok in the network screen do you see your internet network name listed with the wifi bars next to it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

OK to the far right click "test network connection"

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it says "your network isn't set up.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

oh ok...looks like the xbox didn't save the settings for the wifi connection that means, you will for sure need the password ***** your wifi its just that other then that website with the login id I don't have access to their systems but I would be able to sho you how to connect to the wifi and enter the password ***** no problems....but you can go to ""set up wireless network".

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

If you can call them while I wait here I can guide you with the rest of the setup. I don't mind.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

are you sure there was no password ***** any type of numbers/letters on your wifi modem / router?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I called tech support and they were not much support. She did tell me where to find the possible password. She told me to find on the back of the modem where it said SSID:-- the number after it was the password ***** it has been hanged. The number is *****
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Yes perfect, that should be the information you need....do you still have the xbox on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

ok so now you just need to get back to the network settings....and then choose "set up wireless network"

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

choose your network name (SSID) and then enter your password ***** the on screen keyboard and then hit enter

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

If that password ***** not work, we may be able to try one more thing which would be trying to change the password ***** your router. Please let me know what happens with the xbox one when you can.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We get the same message "Can"t Connect".
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

OK, the next thing we can do is try and change your password ***** your computer by connecting to your router. From your computer, see if you can visit http://192.168.1.1

Hopefully this site will come up with your router. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You must have an Authentication name and password. I do not have one and they are not letting me make one.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

its ok try typing in the following:

username = root

password = 12345

Let me know what happens

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
same results
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Try:

admin

cciadmin

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Or the folowing

admin

pass

Administrator

password

Administrator

pass

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

If none of those work, what is the brand of your wireless router. Example, "Netgear", "Linksys", etc. It should say on the router somewhere.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

and possible a model number

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is now a picture of a battery in the top right hand corner of the tv with a red bar that is showing life of 1/4 of battery. I just entered your admin ccai.. and got a screen that had a list of thing and numbers.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Ok awesome. Is it ok if I remote into your computer using team viewer? We just need to get into the settings to change the password ***** every router is different so its easier if I can see what your looking at.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Ok please to the following so we can connect:

#1 - Visit https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

#2 - Scroll down until you can click the “Join remote control session” button.

#3 - Open the small file that just downloaded and double click (TeamViewerQS)

#4 - Copy and Paste “Your ID” and “Password” into our support chat.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Don't forget to add the “Your ID” and “Password” to team viewer here :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Struggled with that some;did not copy but here is the info: ID: 123 446 789; password: c646cd
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

are you sure 123 446 789 is correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, NO 123 456 789 is correct
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Ok one sec

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

I am so sorry but I guess I would need to upgrade my team viewer software so instead of wasting time on that, I guess you will just have to try and walk me through what you see on the screen :( Im so sorry for the inconvenience. Do you see the word wifi or wireless on the screen after you signed in with admin and cciadmin

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went back to see if I could get back to that screen and a different ID and Password ***** up; ID 554 869 091 and the password: 3071
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

ok thanks one sec i will try that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That would be great!
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

looks like our connection was not that great as I kept freezing. You can try the new password ***** the xbox now or if you have an iphone or smartphone to try and connect to the wireless network and use the new pass and see if it works

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Looks like teamviewer disconnected but go ahead and close all those settings we were in by clicking apply and ok and then try to connect with your iphone (smartphone) or just go for it on your xbox.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my internet connection is currently down. i'll get back to you as soon as i have it back up.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

OK. Once its up try the new password ***** provided to make sure it saved properly. I was thinking if you have a smartphone you can try and access your wireless network as it should prompt you for the new password. But yes, let me know when you are back up .

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Just wanted to check in and see if you got your internet access back but also see if you did and if you tried the xbox with the new wireless password. Please let me know.

Thanks.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in as its been a couple days. Please let me know if you still need help.

Thanks.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 month ago.

Did you still need help? Hope all is good.