cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have a BA in CIT with over 14 years experience.
20109878

My wife passed away on Oct 6 and I can't get into her

Customer Question

My wife passed away on Oct 6 and I can't get into her computer how much would it cost to take on to geek squad and have them get into it
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: I have not received anhthing
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It is a gateway self contained it is about 5 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I can't get past the password ***** is what I need when my wife died she took her password ***** her
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Computer
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry about your loss. Geek squad usually charges about 60.00 and up for them to get into the computer.

What kind of computer is it? Is it a laptop or a desktop?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a gateway self contained it is a desktop
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

Do you know what Windows it is (xp, vista, 7, 8, 10)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Windows 8 I think
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The remote hookup won't work if I can't get into it
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

Are you good with computers if I give you instructions or would you feel better to take it to a computer store or geek squad?

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

One more question? Do you see an admin account and user account or just admin?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All I know about computers I taught myself and paying attention so give me instruction and I will try to follow
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a bootable windows 8 disk?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Neither can't get past password ***** no I don't a Windows 8 disc
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The computer came already set
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

OKay try this:

1. Turn on your computer. While the computer is coming up and you can see it saying "Starting Windows". Hold down the Power button for at least 5 seconds to force power off your computer.
  2. When a sudden power loss is detected, the next time you turn on your computer and it will ask you if you want to launch startup repair or start normally. Choose the Launch Startup Repair (recommended) menu.
  3. Startup Repair will boot up and take a little while. When it asks you if you want to restore your computer to an earlier point, click Cancel.
  4. The Startup Repair Tool begins analyzing startup log files for clues as to the source of the problem and then launches a series of diagnostic tests to determine the cause of the startup failure. After a long time, you will get a dialog saying that Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically! Click on View problem details.
  5. Now scroll down to the end of the Detail Report. Click on the last link to read Microsoft's offline privacy statement.
  6. Notepad will come up with the privacy statement in it. Click on the File menu and then Open.
  7. In the File Open dialog box, change the Files of type option to All Files. Browse to the Sticky Keys application - C:\windows\system32\sethc.exe. Rename this file as a backup file: I named it "sethc-copy".
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

I am trying to write the other instructions but give me a bit cause it is giving me an error on this site.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doesn't go to Windows startup I try it on the word gateway but that doesn't work
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm into bios setup utilityl
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

have your computer on then go through the steps. it shouldn't take you into Bios

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Went through the steps but Windows starting doesn't come up I think I will take it to geek squad this would work better if you could see what I'm seeing
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

I agree, it might be better just to call geek squad and have them to do the steps (since I am not in the same room and can't remote at this time) it would be easier for them to do it.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

You will have to call to make an appt.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

Also please bring in your id and your wife's death certificate so that you can have proof that it is yours.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

Once again I am sorry about your lose.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

If we are done, please RATE 4 or above and I will close the ticket.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
5
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

Click the stars to RATE because it will not rate if you just put in the number.

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning, please RATE 4 stars or above so that I can close the ticket.