Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

Yesterday I got an alert on my iPad that the OS had crashed

Customer Question

Yesterday I got an alert on my iPad that the OS had crashed from a third party application. I called the immediate fix number supplied to me and the iPad and my other iPad and my iPhone were all found to be infected too. I paid $89 for each devise to be fixed and feel very grateful that I don't have to replace them. However I've had second thoughts and am wondering if it was really true or if I'm a victim of a scam. The immediate fix number was(###) ###-#### We cleared history and website data. The technician with whom I worked gave me another number to call in case I needed help again. This number is(###) ###-#### He also gave me a passcode to use for further cantors on this subject should they occur. Does this sound like its for real or was I taken for a dangerous ride?
JA: How old is your iPad, and what model are you using? I'm the Computer Technician's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: The iPad is 4 1/2 years old and the model number isMC979LL/A
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: He said that the last website I used, which was Lifetouch (school photos), had a crack that admitted a bug from China. Today he contacted me to finish up some business and said that the crack was no longer there and everything should be okay now.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Unfortunately, it was a scam. You should never follow any instruction in any message that you do not know or that you are not expecting. This issue usually occurs when you accidentally tap on a bad link or advertisement or attachment. In the future, to fix this issue, all you have to do is going to Settings -> Safari -> Clear History and Website Data -> Clear, and that would resolve the issue.

- I recommend to contact your bank / credit card company and report frauds and request to cancel those big charges.

- In the future, please always ignore any popup message (or email message or phone call) that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- Do you have any further question? And/or do you need anything else for now?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Note: No legitimate company would ever display a popup message on your device. Whenever you get a warning popup message (or email message or phone call) that you do not know or that you are not expecting, it is usually a scam.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

I hope I have provided all the information you were looking for, but if you still have any further question, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. You can always reply back to me any time.

Also, if you are satisfied with me help today, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit. Thank you very much,

If you still need help with this issue, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. If everything is fine, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top of this page, then click on Submit. Thank you very much,