Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I signed up for the $50 trial. I have another question.

I signed up for the $50 trial. I have another question. After i've been on my computer for a while, it takes over and starts inserting ***** out of control. It will let me delete the asterisks, but starts all over putting them in. I can't type anything. Doesn't matter what program i'm in, even when I go to run a program or aenter an address for a website. Have had the computer cleaned of errors and checked for viruses and malware. A friend of mine said she had similar problems when they installed Windows 10, which I have. What do you think?

Hi there and welcome

Is this a laptop or a desktop computer you are using?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am using a Toshiba laptop with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse on the laptop don't work. I have been having this problem for months,. The only way I've stopped it is to remove the battery as it would not display the power icon to shut down. I recently learned to turn it off by holding down the on button for several seconds.

Thanks

Can you press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if it is now functioning please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It just started doing it again as I was working in a Word doc. I attached photo of screen, but I don't know if it attached.

ok, complete the instructions though and let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Windows + X - no response
Tried savin doc - froze
All windows closed and I'm on home screen
When I click on windows key using mouse, it opens the search box and types asterisks.

It is the windows key and X

So you press on the Keyboard the windows key next to ALT and hold it then the X key please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's what I did. I just tried again and it finally responded. Window is open, scan is working, 14% complete

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Finished. Am restarting the computer

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10% complete

ok, remember it can take some time

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still on 10% . Working. Must have a lot to fix.

yes, it can in some instances take up to 4 hours, if it does then power it off by holding the power button until it is off, then on again and try to run the scan again please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still working at 10%. I'm going to be away for a couple hours. I'll update you when I get back.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm back and the logon screen is showing. I was able to log on and open Chrome. I'm not getting the asterisks when I try typing an address. That problem appears to be resolved right now. So is there another step at this point to see what was done? The other issue is my file explorer window will not stay open. When I click on it, it flashes open for a split second and closes.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OH S**T!!!! I just tried logging into my yahoo email account and asterisks are not allowing me to enter my password. I clicked login by text and it is asking me to fill in the missing digits of my cell # and asterisks are there and not allowing me to delete or backspace to erase to enter #s.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am able to highlight and delete the asterisks but they just start popping up again. My friend had a similar problem and they attributed it to a problem in Windows 10. Have you heard anything?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you going to continue with this?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please respond. Problem not solved. Just received email to rate your service. Thanks.

Hi there,

It was some time before you replied and I was not online.

This is not something that has been attributed to windows 10.

When did the problem first start for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Richard, this has been going on for a couple months. Has been very frustrating because the only way I've been able to get out of that is hold down the power button. (I just learned that, I was pulling the battery out.) And I have to leave it off for a good while. If I try turning it on too soon I get the asterisks even on the logon screen. I maintain our cat rescue website and it has greatly hampered my efforts to update it. I'm not home today, we are taking 15 kittens from Bakersfield to ***** *****ward Animal Center in SanDiego for adoption. Can we set a time to continue this tomorrow?

yes that is ok

When you are back, I want you to create a new user account and test if you have the problem there

To do this

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC.
    2. Enter a user name, password, password ***** and then select Next.

Then test for the issue please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Sometimes it's a few hours before the problem starts, so I'll do it tonight.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I followed instruction 1. When I selected add someone else to this PC , a new screen opeNed with the spinning wheel and then gave me the message "something went wrong"
I hit retry, did the same thing. So I cancelled. I made several attempts and all failed. When I tried add family member it did the same thing. I'm giving up and going to bed.

you're going to need to reinstall windows, it is too far corrupted and all repair efforts have failed.

This wont remove your data (programs you will need to install again) but to be safe back up your data off the computer

Then go to start, settings, update & Security, Recovery, then Get Started under Reset my PC

Follow the onscreen steps and make sure to choose to keep your data

Let this complete, set up windows again like when you first received it and tell me how it now operates please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I looked online and found this was not a unique problem. However, when I tried to follow the instructions suggested, I could not figure out where to go the way the control panel layout is. Same with adding a new user, repeating keys (problems not exactly the same where computer takes complete contro) , and adding other users. None suggested reinstalling Windows, but I will try.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I reinstalled Windows last night. Will be gone this afternoon to Bakersfield to run errands and will be home around 5.. When can we resume our conversation?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Richard, I'm getting emails to rate your service. Until the issue is resolved, I don't want to do that. I was able to get into add another acct, but I need to set an email up first, so I wasn't able to complete that yet.

Hi there

What is the result now you did the reinstall of windows? as per my last instructions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
RICHARD, I reinstalled Windows 10 per your instructions . I reinstalled my printer software but nothing else. Now I have to figure out how to get my Office reinstalled w/o repaying for it. The kicker is that I'm still having the same problem I contacted you about... the repeating, out of control ******!! I'm totally disappointed that this isn't being resolved!

It is the keyboard controller on the motherboard that has faulted, this now confirms it, it;s the only cause left now everything else has been eliminated

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the computer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My keyboard on the laptop has not worked for some time. The mouse on it stopped working first. I use an external keyboard. Its a Toshiba laptop and I'm sure it is out of warranty. So you believe it is the computer hardware? In your opinion, would it be just better ($$ wise) to replace the laptop? I've been thinking of getting a small desktop since I already have a separate monitor and keboard, and don't really need a laptop.

If the warranty has expired then yes, it would be better to replaced, but it is 100% a hardware issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry not to tip - I just closed the bank acct I had charged the initial service to late week. Did give you a 5 star rating. Sorry it took so long.

that is no problem at all and thank you