Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I am a baby boomer who is reasonably aquainted with all this

Customer Question

hi. I am a baby boomer who is reasonably aquainted with all this new technology but I just got a new lab top with the 10 thing and all i'm trying to do is figure out how to make yahoo my home page on either firefox or that new windows thing I think they replaced internet explorer with.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: its HP and it's windows 10- no other choice
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: only google chrome because instructions to do what i'm trying to do told me thus.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, actually, I have a hard time getting sites pinned to my desk top. everything is so different these days!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. You can go to menu / settings / options.

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay, how do we do that, exactly?

I can connect remotely to your computer and show you how to do this directly. Please let me know when you are available. Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

It looks like you are not there. Let me provide some written instructions you can try when you are available.

1. For setting up home page in internet browser programs:

- When you are in Mozilla Firefox program, click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner in Firefox program, then click on Options. Then there, delete everything in the Home Page box. Then type yahoo.com in the Home Page box. Then close Firefox and re-open it and check.

- If you want to use the new Internet program that replaces Internet Explorer (it's called Microsoft Edge program), then when you are in the new internet Microsoft Edge program, click on the 3-dot icon at upper right corner, then click on Settings (scroll down first as needed.) Scroll down as needed, then if needed, turn on Show the home button, then select option A specific page, then type yahoo.com in the box below, then press Enter key (or click on the (save) disk icon on the right. Then close the new internet Microsoft Edge program, then re-open it and check.

- I recommend to use the Firefox or Chrome interent program than the new Microsoft Edge program. But if you prefer to use the old Internet Explorer program, then click on Start (which is the Windows logo icon located at the bottom left of the computer's screen), (then if needed, click on All apps or click on the 3-bar icon), then scroll down, then click on Internet Explorer (or click on Windows Accessories -> Internet Explorer.) Then right-click on the green "e" icon at the bottom, then click on option Pin this program to the Taskbar. Then in the Internet Explorer program, click on the gear / wheel icon at the upper right corner, then click on Internet Options. Then delete everything in the Home page box. Then type yahoo.com in the Home page box, then click OK at the bottom. Then close Internet Explorer program, then re-open it and check.

- To set up home page in Google Chrome program, click on the 3-dot icon at the upper right corner in Chrome program, then click on Settings. Then under the section On startup, click on option Set pages. Then type yahoo.com in the box, then click OK. Then close Chrome program, then re-open it and check.

2. To pin websites to Desktop:

- Go to a site you want in the Google Chrome program, then click on the 3-dot icon at the upper right corner in the Chrome program, then select option More tools, then click on option Add to desktop..., then click on Add. Then you should see that site icon on the Desktop screen.

- If you use Firefox or Internet Explorer (or Chrome also), to pin a site, first, make sure the Firefox / Internet Explorer / Chrome program window is not maximized. Then go to that site in Firefox or Internet Explorer (or Chrome). Then click and hold on the tiny icon in front of that site address link (at the top left), and drag it to an empty space on the Desktop screen, then release. Then that site should appear on the Desktop screen now.

- Please let me know if there is still any issue, and/or if you need help with anything else.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,