Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I'm getting a written & verbal message that my computer has

Customer Question

I'm getting a written & verbal message that my computer has notified Windows that my computer has the Zeus virus w/a 2683D error. It's saying that the virus is sending all my info to hackers. If I close out of
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: HP Pavillion slimline Window7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The message is also saying that if I close the window before calling them they will disable my computer to prevent further damage to the system.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Tim. So can you give me some more info? I'm a security expert.....sounds like this is a pop up from a browser correct? Were you surfing the web when this happend?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I got a letter that I needed to update my info for a bank that we have a car loan at.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

A letter, as in an email?

Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

So 2 things, the Zeus virus is real, and its nasty, it steels all personal data, and sometimes encrypts all your data so you can not use it - But this sounds more like a scare tactic so far, its un usual for them to put it on, and announce it...kind of renders it pointless. Im thinking this is a scam to get you to do something.

Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

For some your payment failed....this is usually your bank blocking it, i'd ping them and then I can give you a call or remote in etc.

Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

I'm an engineer and have nothing tod do with billing, Justanswer customer service # is 1(###) ###-#### but i'd just call my bank and have them autharize it, then we can go line by line of what happend and what to do.

Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Same thing - you need to contact your bank to authorize the charge or call just answer customer service 1(###) ###-#### once again, id just call your bank real quick.

Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

sorry for the frustration, let me know if you end up contacting the bank.

Expert:  Tim replied 2 months ago.

Checking back in....any luck? If not we can just hash it out here in text,