Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I purchased my Toshiba in March of 2015. Have purchased 3

Hi ... i purchased my Toshiba in March of 2015. Have purchased 3 over the last 7-8 year. It is a Portege Z20-B2112. I love it! it is my travel computer (for my consulting work) and my also I use as my desktop. When working in my home office, I attach one 22" screen using the VGA. I really need to have a 2nd screen and use both. I purchased the new screen and attached using the HDMI port. However, only the new one (using the HDMI port) will active when both are attached. If i unplug the HDMI, the one on the VGA will then active. How can i get both to work so i can use at the same time? Is it possible i can't use 2 screens at the same time with this computer? Thx Jerry Rhinehart
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Window 7.... Portege Z20-B2112.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: don't recall updating anything in the last few weeks. I don't seem to recall a notice to do so
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi there and welcome

Even if you have both HDMI & VGA outputs, you'll only be able to use one at a time. To get around this you need to use a USB to VGA adapter which will give you the initial monitor (as I advise to use the current HDMI port)

This is such an adapter that will work and will allow you the third screen.

https://www.startech.com/AV/USB-Video-Adapters/USB-VGA-Multi-Monitor-Video-Adapter~USB2VGAE2

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Answer appears to be sound. I will try that

Thank you,

Let me know if you need anything else and please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top then submit

Thank you