Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Computer crashed. Turn it on, would turn itself off again

Customer Question

Computer crashed. Turn it on, would turn itself off again within 15 seconds. Bought new computer, Windows 10. Previous virus security company phoned, said my email system is under attack. Changed username and password. 4 hours later, computer turned itself back on but of course, weekend night, have no one to advise me. Should I leave the computer on until Monday, or shut it down and hope it will restart? Again, this computer has not started more than 20 seconds in the last six weeks. It wants to live. Off or on?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Gateway, top of line at the time, and gag, Vista home premium. Am a writer. Worked great for my needs.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, write and type. But must confess, occasional porn. Am 67-year-old handicapped vet. Could that be the source of what shut me down?
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Have purchased Dell, Windows 10, quad-core 8 GB laptop -- hate it. Am meant for a desktop. Was a magazine editor for more than 29 years and would much prefer to be working on a typewriter -- but I digress.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Feel free to disregard the Premium Service Offer for Remote Support. That is an automated popup initiated by the web site. Who was the security company that called you?