Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have my sister's computer. She has dementia and cannot

Customer Question

I have my sister's computer. She has dementia and cannot remember her Microsoft password ***** get into her computer. I tried the try to reset but she never had a chance to use her email so I could not answer those questions. Is there a way to get into her computer so I can help her access her bill pay etc.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is an hp laptop and says windows 8 on the back
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. It was sitting on her desk and she has had it for a while but really never used it after she started forgetting things.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 16 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

If you're unable to reset the password ***** only other thing you could do would be to try to do a factory reset on the machine and set everything back up from scratch. Do you know if she has any data or programs on the computer that she can't afford to lose?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I don't think so. She really did not know how to use this laptop when she ordered it from QVC and now cannot remember any passwords. I could not find any discs that go with it.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 16 days ago.

Okay, thanks. Do you by chance know the exact model?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No thank you. I will just try to find someone here who may be able to help. I do not want a membership.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 16 days ago.

A membership is not required. That's just an offer for people who might be interested.

I can probably find the steps to perform a recovery on the system if you'd like me to do that.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No thank you. I do not want to be a member. I will not continue with this. But thank you.