Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

My HP TouchSmart tx2 1370 will not start. I have replaced

My HP TouchSmart tx2 1370 will not start. I have replaced the motherboard and the CPU. The cap lock and end light blink but the hard drive never start. The fan runs. What is causing this. The last computer shop said they replaced the motherboard but I think now they lied
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your HP? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Model tx2 1370us
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: windows 10
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have not replaced but I pulled one RAM stick out. I each in the two sloths one at a time. Did not help

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you

Do you hear any beep sound, when you power on the PC ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Connecting to my laptop is not possible because the wifi is not turning on and I don't have away to connect to the wifi unit with a line. I also want to know how it is repaired
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No beep sounds. Just the fan motor

Do you have any display on the screen ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No display on screen
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It never starts the hard drive

Thanks, ***** ***** update, I tried to research on the problem, you are facing and find out that the two blinking lights on the keyboard indicates problem with the motherboard , to be specific the graphics controller on the motherboard is defective and unfortunately the only solution for this problem is replacing the motherboard and I think your doubt is correct that the shop or repair center did not replace the motherboard.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I just put this motherboard in and it did not fix problem so I replaced CPU
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Whatever the tech did a year ago to repair it, it lasted over a year.

I can explain, what was done. When any circuit board gets defective, we first try to blow hot air on the board and in most of the cases the problem gets solve because it softens the solders on the board and in your case, they have done the same thing. That is why the problem reappeared after one year. Can you tell me, if the same thing was happening before replacing the CPU ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I bought a motherboard and installed it. It was doing the same thing. The two lights were blinking and the fan was running. I bought a CPU and installed it. Same problem. So yes it was doing the same thing before I replaced the CPU

What was happening before you installed the motherboard ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Turn power on. The fan would start running but the hard drive would not run. Two lights blinking. Cap lock and end lights

Did you buy a new or used motherboard ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It's supposed to be new
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Bought it from JK Computer Parts out of Solon Ohio

Check the invoice, because as the problem is with the board, you may get a replacement from them.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay. I will check with them. Thank you

Please let me know, if you need any further information, otherwise please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

Hi there new expert here.

Either the new board you got is not functioning, or something is not connected correctly. It sounds like you have eliminated all other possibilities. Honestly at this point if you cannot get a replacement board for free I would suggest buying a new laptop. I think it would save you time and money in the long run. You could pull the hard drive out of this one and transfer your data over.

As a professional tech I do not even work on laptops anymore for hardware issues unless it is something simple like a ram upgrade or new hard drive. The reason is because it takes too much time and I would have to charge the customer almost the same amount as it would cost to get a new one. I know you are doing the work yourself but your time is valuable to you I am sure as your money. So as I said, if you can get a replacement board free give it another try, if not I would suggest getting a new laptop.

At this time click the stars above to finish for now, 5 stars is very appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.