Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I got a message that my computer was blocked. I was on an

Customer Question

I got a message that my computer was blocked. I was on an site that should be safe and I have Norton. When I called the number I couldn't determine for sure who the person was with. I refused to give any information and he hung up. I think this was an attempt to access my computer illegally. Do you know what this was?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I have a Toshiba laptop and am running Windows 8.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is 100% a scam.

This is what is known as "phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.

Basically what they will do is say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.

Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever contact you like this.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.

Thank you