Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I am working on a new website that will be an “online art

Customer Question

I am working on a new website that will be an “online art museum” and will feature galleries style document and then screen-capture the entire document (Quark + images) in order to create a PNG file so that I can upload it to the website. (I can also then easily convert the PNG document to a JPG document if needed.) A problem arises for documents larger than about 12"x15" because my own computer screen is 12" x 18" and I cannot capture a screen image of anything larger. If I work at 50% or 75% in Quark, then the Quark portion of the resulting PNG image loses its sharpness and is very unattractive when uploaded to the website. I need to work with larger text+image documents. If I could simply save my Quark/text+image documents in PNG format, then the size of the resulting PNG-formatted document would not be a problem.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Mac Mini, with large landscape screen, OSx Yosemite 10.10.5.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, I have tried installing the new OSX operating system, but have been unsuccessful.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can’t think of anything.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 10 days ago.

I'm missing something here. I hope we aren't stuck in a case of circular reasoning, but we very well may be.

You display an image, which you then wish to capture in some manner.

How did that image get displayed in the first place? Does that not require it already to live in an image file somewhere?!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks for your response, Bruce.
1. First, I create a Quark text document.
2. As part of the Quark text document, I place an image, either PNG or JPG (but usually PNG).
3. I then screen-capture the entire Quark+image document in order to create a composite PNG image. (I can also easily convert the composite PNG image to JPG if necessary for purposes other than uploading to the website.)
4. I then upload the entire screen-captured PNG composite image to the website.
5. Steps 1-4 work fine for composite screen-captured images—EXCEPT for large composite images.
6. The problem arises for composite screen-captured images larger than 18 in. W x 11 in. H, because my computer screen is 19 in. W x 12 in. H, and it cannot display in its entirety a larger composite Quark+image document.
7. I can, of course, create a larger composite Quark+image document by working in 75% or 50% Quark mode. However, the screen-capture then comes out reduced accordingly from 100%, and when it is enlarged and uploaded to the website the text material portion of the composite Quark+image document is blurred, ragged, and completely unacceptable.
8. So—if I could work on the Quark+image composite document in full-size and then save the full-size composite Quark+image document in PNG format IN FULL SIZE, then I could upload it to the website and retain precise resolution of both text and image.Your assistance in helping me resolve this issue will be sincerely appreciated.

Honestly, I don't see that there's any issue to be resolved.

Instead of mixing an existing high-res image with, say, text and then capturing (at unacceptable res) the whole thing, has it occurred to you to just post the original image, and then display the attendant text next to it or beneath it? It seems to me that you are getting lost in the details of an assumed solution rather than thinking about what you have right in front of you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Dear *****:
My original question was: How can I save a Quark document in PNG format? Quark documents often contain graphic images.I need for you to explain—if you can—either (a) how this CAN be done, or (b) that it CANNOT be done. I do not need you to tell me that I should not be attempting to create the artwork that I am working with. You are also overlooking the fact that the problem I’ve encountered occurs ONLY for documents that are LARGER than 14x11 because I cannot achieve a screen-capture of a document that I cannot fully observe on my own computer screen. I can already successfully upload PNG images of composite Quark documents that are SMALLER than 14 x 11.If you do not know either answers (a) or (b) to my original question, I certainly accept that and I thank you for your efforts. Incidentally—as an aside—your initial email to me stated that you have charged my credit card “the balance” of $39.00 due; I did NOT sign up for ANYTHING beyond the $5.00 charge for your answer to my original question. Please see that no other charges are made against my credit card, and that the original $5.00 charge is reversed if you cannot successfully answer my original quesion.I thank you most sincerely ***** ***** efforts, I hope you are having an enjoyable Thanksgiving Day and that good fortune will always come your way.Sincerely, Paul
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 9 days ago.

I am completely lost. I didn't understand that you were CREATING artwork, but that you STARTED with high-res artwork and are concerned that--when displaying that with other surroundings--you somehow feel that you need to save that back out as low-res rather than just constructing your to-be-displayed content on the fly from high-res graphic plus whatever else.

I'm not here to argue about your $5. Your original question is, frankly, indicative TO ME that you should not be building Web pages, and I prefer not to get blue in the face explaining the patently obvious.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 days ago.

you should be able to EXPORT a quark document as either jpg or png

file / export as image

that should eliminate the need to take screen shots.

http://www.planetquark.com/2010/10/22/how-to-export-pages-as-jpgs-or-pngs-out-of-quarkxpress/#.WDjXc-YrLcs

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Dear ***** M.I've previously checked out PlanetQuark. The instructions there for EXPORTING a Quark document apply to Quark 8. Since I’m using Quark 9.5.1, those instructions are of no use. There is nothing comparable in version 9.5.1; the only formats for EXPORTING a document in 9.5.1 being as: PDF, Project, EPS, Ave, Blio ebook, Reflow as ePub, and Reflow as Kindle.Do you have any other suggestions?Sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Robert M. replied 7 days ago.

there are a lot of pdf to jpg converters out there.

have you tried exporting as pdf and then converting it?

http://pdf2jpg.net/

adobe indesign is also supposed to read quark formats and export jpg. But that program costs about 20 bucks a month.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Robert:I think you may have hit a homerun!! The Quark-PDF-PNG conversion route had not occurred to me. I tried converting a Quark document (text+image) to PDF and then converting the PDF to PNG, and—although the resulting PDF document displayed the customary crop marks—by using the editing tools, I awas able to crop the entire PDF file so as to remove the crop marks entirely. The resulting PDF is high-res at any image size, and can be exported in PNG format WITHOUT the crop marks. I've also just found some available conversion software that MIGHT possibly avoid the interim step of "cropping" the PDF image to get rid of the crop marks. I'll try the "free trial version" of the software, and I'll let you know how it works so you can pass this conversion information along to others as and when you might need to. The software costs $79.95 and can also do batch conversions (which can be a real time saver—IF it works as advertised). I appreciate your Quark-PDF-PNG conversion tip, and your creative patience in thinking about possible answers to my original question.Sincerely, Paul
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Please note that I have NOT decided yet whether or not to go beyond the FREE TRIAL version of your service. Do not charge my credit card for anything other than the initial $5.00 charge for my one question. In the future, since I now have tried your service, I may consider a paid account.Thanks, Paul
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 days ago.

Thank you good to hear it is working out

I have nothing to do with billing

You would have to email***@******.*** for all billing issues

But I would appreciate if you would give me an excellent rating

Your rating is the only way that I can receive any credit from this website

Thank you :)