Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I keep getting an audio message from Microsoft warning of a

Customer Question

I keep getting an audio message from Microsoft warning of a virus with a number I should call. I cannot delete. I can only shut down my computer. I keep shutting it down because I do not trust the source. Is this notification the real deal?
JA: I'm the Computer Technician's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Repeating....the audio message I keep getting on my PC is strongly recommending a number on the screen because there is a potential virus. I do not trust this source so I am contacting your support via my l-Pad. I am having no problems on my I-Pad.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: I 'm not sure the exact model of my computer. It is a Dell, about 3years old and a home model. I ordered it online to get Windows 7 and have since upgraded it to Windows 10. I use Firefox. I use Slim Cleaner, but MAlware keeps trying to take over. Psst...I am not very computer savvy.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes, one update maybe about a week ago that seemed standard. I can' t even remember but I do remember something seemed strange after I finished the installation
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I'm old and nervous about what to do.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cory replied 14 days ago.

Welcome, I am Cory. Thank you for asking your question.

Are you still able to use the computer?

Expert:  Cory replied 14 days ago.

Please let me know when you would like to continue.

Expert:  Cory replied 14 days ago.

Are you still with me?