Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have received a pop up voice & written message on my sons

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have received a pop up voice & written message on my sons school laptop, claiming to be from Microsoft. Saying my computer has been blocked & to phone this number 1800 678 329, and if i ignore & close it will disable my computer. Is this a scam
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Acer Aspire R11, Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Dont think so
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Maybe the anti virus has run out
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That is certainly a scam. Please do not follow any instructions in that message. Does it let you close the message / window? Close the Internet program / windows and check.

- If needed, can you please shut down / restart the computer, and check?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

This issue usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link or ads or attachment. Please always ignore any message that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- If needed, after shutting down / restarting the computer (if needed, press and hold down the power on / off button on the computer for about 10 seconds, then turn it back on), open the Internet program, then if needed, right away, close any window / tab when it comes up (click on the "x" icon to close.) Then open Internet again and check.

- Does the popup message / voice still occur?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 6 months ago.

How are you? It's been about a week. Do you still need help with this issue and/or with any other computer question / issue?

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,