comp_audio
comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.
44312836

My computer randomly freezes and sometimes the screen goes.

Customer Question

HI, my computer randomly freezes and sometimes the screen goes white.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  comp_audio replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today. Please give me a minute to review your issue and get back to you. Thanks in advance.

Please tell me if this is a laptop or desktop?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Desktop

How old is it?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am not at home right now so that would not be possible.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I bought it in 2012

What would not be possible?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
For you to connect to my computer now because I am not home.

Oh, I did not send that, it was an auto sent message from the system.

Random shutdowns are often be caused by the power supply not getting enough fresh air and it getting hot. Are you willing to open the case up and blow it out with a can of air or an air compressor?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I already cleaned the inside. Maybe the device I am using to plug the computer into is not good...is that possible?

I have seen that before, but it is very rare. Is it plugged into a surge protector?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

You could try plugging directly into the wall just to rule out the surge protector.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How can you do that if I am not home now

We will have to wait until you can get home to try it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
what about the $5.00 plus $39.95 that was just charged to my credit card? Will I have to pay again ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello are you still there?

No, just come back to this same page and pick up where we left off. There should be no further charges.

Something else I have seen cause this sort of thing is malware/virus activity. If the surge protector does not fix it, then try going to https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/ and download and install the application. Then let it scan you pc. Once it is done it will most likely find some things. Let it clean the things it finds and reboot afterwards then get back to me and let me know how it all goes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will try that site. I do have McAfee.. Is that other site better?

McAfee is for virus protection. The one I link above is for malware and it is better than most others for finding and removing malware.

If that still does not fix the issue, then the last thing it could be is a hardware fault causing the shutdowns. Do you hear any weird clicking or strange noises from the hard drive at all?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No there are no noises at all.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
When I installed McAfee, if a virus and malware was present would McAfee have fixed it for me?

Okay, then when you get a chance run the malwarebytes scanner and let it clean then get back to me with the results. Any idea of when you will have time to do that?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, when I get home tonite from work I will try that site (if my computer doesn't freeze) and I will get back to you.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try what you have suggested and get back to you.

With McAfee, it should have performed an initial scan when you installed it, but without knowing the options you selected when you installed it I have no idea if you selected to have it do the scan, or whether if auto updates and auto scans. It might be a good idea to make sure to have McAfee do an update and scan as well as the Malwarebytes.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I believe it updates automatically.

Alright, sounds good. I will watch for your reply and hopefully one of the things I suggested fixes your issue.