Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Over a year ago my computer was running slow, having

Customer Question

over a year ago my computer was running slow, having problems getting on sites. I am not very computer savvy. An ad came up for a computer tech support. I can't remember exactly how I contacted them. I allowed them to fix my computer. It did run better. Recently I had trouble using pandora, kept getting error messages. Got a phone call from the people who fixed my computer before, I had paid for a two year service. They said my computer was being hacked into. I panicked and paid more for them to install anti hacker software. Have I been "had?"
JA: Just to clarify, how often have you been getting this particular message?
Customer: I only got the message once, when my computer was actually acting up. The computer did run much better after the technician worked on it.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Originally this "company" I used just popped up. I didn't google them, as I just googled you. they all have strong indian accents and it sounds like a call center, background voices.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

It does sound a bit suspect.

Do you know the name of the software they installed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no, not really. the first time they installed sophos anti-virus and ccleaner. Now it says "anti Hacker". They do give me technician contact info.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Ok it is not any security software, likely it allows them access to your computer

We will need to uninstall it asap

Which version of windows are you using?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a mac
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, then it is easier to remove.

Go to Finder, Applications.

Send the application to Trash

Then empty the Trash and this will remove it

Tell me when you have please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but how do you know that it is a bogus application?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they had remote access to my computer and if they are hackers, I suppose they could have done anything. But the computer is running better.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

because it is a common trick used with the wording anti hacker as the software.

There is no actual security software called this, it is a script they read off and why I see it from a lot of my customers here

You only need Sophos on your computer for security

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if I throw anti hacker in the trash, how do I know I have gotten a hacker out of my computer? and what if they are legitimate. I looked up the company name; it is actually registered in Virginia. I did a background check on the owner, a man with Indian name, and all he has against him is three traffic violations.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

If this is the software they installed then trashing it will remove it from the computer and then stops any access to your computer.

They need the software in order to access your computer, once it is gone it stops it.

If you want, for an additional fee, I can sign onto your computer and check for any other suspect software that has been installed.

It is optional, and I made the offer, so if you wish for this, please accept it.