s_feehan
s_feehan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  11 years of repair, 3+ in a professional setting
69400341

I'm looking to get a new computer. My current PC I'd over 9

Customer Question

I'm looking to get a new computer. My current PC I'd over 9 years old,. so I am due for an upgrade. I will mainly be using it for 3d modeling/animation/rendering and also photo and video editing, and other applications from the Adobe creative suite.Therefor I'm thinking I'll need a system with an Nvidia Quadro card (in the past and currently I've only been able to afford Nvidia Geforce graphics cards).I need to try to keep my budget between $1,000 and $2,000.Looking at various workstation PC's the come with a Quadro card, few are with in my budget.So I am considering getting new system from Costco and purchasing a Quadro card separately.My question is what makes a workstation system a workstation, other than the Quadro vs Geforce (CAD vs Gaming) comparison?Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 13 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

The following article pretty much sums up all the differences between a regular PC and a workstation:

https://redshift.autodesk.com/pc-versus-workstation

Though in reality, there is no real consensus or concrete definition of a workstation.

If you have any other questions on this just let me know. And please remember to rate the answer for me before you run.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I appreciate the link. But that article was not really helpful. It seemed like it was written by someone with a workstation bias, and read like a dumbed down sales pitch to a corporate executive.Xeon seem to be common among workstation PCs, while i7 Core seem to be common to higher end desktop systems. However, I'm seeing many benchmark comparisons between them that show the i7 offers better performance. Specifically the i7 5960.Can you suggest a good system (or individual components) for 3d modeling/rendering and video/photo editing?Thank you.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I'm no longer near my computer and am instead replying on my phone. At this point I am going to opt out of the question and open it up for another Expert to assist you.

Expert:  s_feehan replied 13 days ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I'm happy to resolve this for you, pleae let me know when you're free so we can discuss this

- Sean

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Sean.
Expert:  s_feehan replied 13 days ago.

Hey there, I was briefly checking through your conversation with the last tech,

I'd suggest taking a peek at this discussion here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/quadro-vs-geforce-for-video-editing.2434790/

for the purposes of video editing, GTX vs Quadro, save your wallet and go GTX (like a 980 OC by EVGA)

For modeling, animation and rendering, you would be winning more with a Quadro series, however, if budget is a concern, to truly get the most out of your money, I'd still consider a GTX 980 OC at the LEAST. by EVGA, it may not match up but you can afford the other specs...

For a processor, I'd recommend taking a peek here, this is almost a matter of preference

http://www.velocitymicro.com/blog/xeon-vs-i7i5-whats-difference/

Truly, for your budget, you'll want to go with a GTX series card and an i7 series processor, but if you can stretch your budget, go with a Quadro and Xeon setup to suit your goals.

hope that helps

- Sean

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help. I read through those links and they were very informative.I have a question regarding something that you said in your answer.You mentioned going with the GTX 980 OC because of my budget constraints instead of a Quadro. But looking on Amazon, there is a k2200 4 gig DDR5 Quadro card for $380. And the lowest price I could find for the GTX 980 OC with 4 gig DDR5 on Amazon was about $420.Is the K2200 going to to provide any benefits over the GTX 980? Or vice versa?Or is the k2200 to much of a "low-end" Quadro card for intensive 3d modeling/rendering and video editing?And you suggested the i7 over the Xeon in order to fit my budget. After doing some research last night I found myself even more overwhelmed when trying to figure out which i7 would be the best.At first I assumed that the higher number model would be the most powerful. But from what I've read, the 6700 seems to be more energy efficient but not as powerful as the 5960.The i7 6950 seems to be the most powerful, but the price is absurd.I got so frustrated that by the end of the night I was back to considering the Xeon, specifically the E3-1231 v3. I think I read something about the E5 Xeon not being as compatible with Autodesk's program Maya. But the E3 series seems to work well with it.Can you please help me with a suggestion as to which i7 would be best? Or if the E3-1231 v3 would be better?I'm sorry, I know I am asking a lot of questions. Please know that I greatly appreciate your help. I'm really worried about purchasing the wrong system or components, as this is going to completely wipe me out financially. But if I get the right components/system, this will be an investment that will pay off over the following years. Thank you again.