Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Since the Windows 10 Anniversary update installed on my G780

Customer Question

Hi ... Since the Windows 10 Anniversary update installed on my G780 laptop, it has had issues. Every time a new update happens, I have to power down, unplug the battery, then power back up before it will boot. I have uninstalled the last update to see if I can roll back to when I wasn't having problems, and now nothing happens. That laptop just hangs with a black screen ... I can't even boot into safe mode anymore.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I have owned the machine since 2012 and have never had any problems until this 1067 version of Windows 10 got updated to it
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: The updates happen automatically ... Per the update log the last update happened 10/29/16 which was Windows update kb3197954
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just did an uninstall of kb3197954, and now instead of the computer getting stuck with the rolling dots showing, it gets stuck with just a black screen and the drive LED is off. I was able to boot into Safe Mode before after two boot attempts were interrupted by holding the power button, but now I cannot boot to safe mode after uninstalling that latest Windows update
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Let me know the make and model of the computer.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Make is Lenovo, Model is G780
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The laptop is not booting up, so you cannot remote in. I am messaging you from my ipad
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is anyone there? I have submitted a $5 deposit on my credit card. I do not want a subscription, I just want to sort out this one issue I am having
Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

Unlug the ac adapter and check if this model has a detachable battery if yes remove it and let me know.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I had already removed the battery. That is how I was able to boot to safe mode before by holding the power button to kill the boot up two times. Now I cannot even get to safe mode
Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

what happens when you remove the battery and push hold the power button for 10 seconds and then try connecting the ac adapter and power on. What happens.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There seems to be a lot of issue with the Windows 10 Anniversary update 1067, and I apparently am a victim. I would like to see if I could just go back to previous version 1511. I am beyond the 10 day rollback period, so thought I read somewhere that I could just get hold of the ISO file and using Media Creation Tool create a bootable USB drive and after uninstalling version 1067, could then just install 1511 from the USB. I was able to create a bootable USB drive using the Media Creation Tool, but can only find the 1067 ISO file. I've tried just running the install from this bootable USB drive I created, but it halts. However, I just boot to the USB, tried to run install, which halted, then when I selected to continue to Windows, my laptop did boot up
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You want me to pull the battery, unplug the AC adapter, push and hold the power button for 10 seconds, and then while still pushing the power button, plug back in the AC adapter? After fiddling around booting to the USB and trying Windows repair, which failed to do anything, and then trying to Install from the USB, which failed, I just chose to continue to Windows, and my laptop has boot up. When I check the update history, it looks like a Windows update kb3200970 just happened
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Have you gone? I'm logging off this chat. I was just able to boot, then I got a message that I needed to restart because there was an update. After restart, the computer is hung again in the black screen with the rolling dots. I am just going to see if I can fiddle around as before and if I can actually get It to boot, then see if I can revert to 1511. I found tha instuction again online, and it does not use the 1511 ISO, but just uses Recovery function from Updates and Security
Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

My apology for the delay i had an internet outage for sometime.

Expert:  Michelle replied 15 days ago.

Pull the battery, unplug the AC adapter, push and hold the power button for 45 seconds and release the button.

Wait for 3 mins and then connect only the ac adapter and power it on let me know how it goes.