Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Have ASUS Q303U. Can't seem to get out of the Aptio Setup

Customer Question

Have ASUS Q303U. Can't seem to get out of the Aptio Setup Utility. Someone recommended Cntrl+Home, but can't figure out what the home button is. The only button that read "home" is the left arrow that just move across the top Utility menu. Thoughts?
This PC is less than a year old. I can't believe its bricked
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Feel free to disregard the Premium Service Offer. That is an automated popup initiated by the web site. Please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 20 days ago.

Hold down Ctrl+Home key and press the power button. Keep holding Ctrl+Home until you see "EZ-Flash" start.
Let EZ-Flash run Your computer will shut down automatically when finished.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I tried that. What is the Home Key?
This is exactly from the web site that I referred to in my question. It doesn't seem to work. How about calling me and walking me through this.
Expert:  Dan replied 20 days ago.

Look on the key pad. There is a key labeled HOME.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How can you possible remotely connect to a pc that is bricked. You must be joking
Expert:  Dan replied 20 days ago.

Disregard that. it is an automated popup as i indicated in my greeting.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Dan, the home key labeled under the left arrow. All it does is move the menu bar to the left repeatedly. How about admitting that you have no clue
Expert:  Dan replied 20 days ago.

How about not being insulting! I am only trying to help you!!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Dan, my question specifically cited the Control + Home solution, with a question about the Home key. Is there another solution available?
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 20 days ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

The 'Home' text is displayed on the left arrow key. In order to activate that Home option, you must be pressing the key that is on the bottom row, 2nd from the far left (It is between the CTRL and Windows key). If you need to press "CTRL HOME" for example, you would press the following three keys at the same time: CTRL, fn, and the Left Arrow Key.

Please, let me know if that makes sense or not.

Click the link below. I put a red arrow pointing to the Function key that I am referring to.

- http://i63.tinypic.com/2cf42c.jpg

I have I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Same result. Still brings up the Aptio Setup Utility. When exiting it, it reverts right back to the utility

Thank you for the update. When you exit the Utility, it just goes back to the same Utility?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Correct. Does not change the circumstance in the slightest. Same firmware 2.17.1249 and when exiting the setup utility it asks whether you want to save (which I said yes), it then recycles to the exact same screen condition

It sounds like your installation of Windows may be faulting. When was the last time that you were able to boot into windows. Do you know what caused this problem?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thursday night. The laptop was closed, and when i opened it was greeted with the blue screen. Looks like this is a common problem for Asus (based on my review online). The Control+Home fix didn't seem to work (it was hit or miss on line as well).

The reason behind the utility coming up is that the computer cannot locate a bootable drive. In the setup utility, navigate to the Boot session and locate the Boot Drive Order setup. Be sure that the Hard Drive is posted as the first boot device, save the settings, and reboot. Did that make any change?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
All it reads is:
Boot Configuration
Fast Boot Enabled
Launch CSM DisabledBoot Option Priorities>Delete Boot OptionI can only toggle between Fast Boot and Delete Boot Options

In the setup utility, you will need to create a new boot option priority and set it to the hard drive.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Can't find an option to create a new boot option priority

- Select the Boot Configuration Menu

- Select 'Launch CSM' and change to enable
- Select the Security menu n the Aptio setup utility, select 'secure Boot Control' and change to disable
- Select Save & Exit and press 'yes'
- Hold down the power button until the unit switches power off completely
- Switch back on and continually press the F9 button for about ten seconds; this should now allow the unit to boot up into the Windows Recovery menu
- Select 'Advanced Start Up' and wait until the recovery menu appears
- Select ' Advanced Options'
- Select 'System Restore' and select a date prior to when the problem occurred.

Once that is complete, please update me.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I can't toggle to Launch CSM. Only option is Fast Boot or Delete Boot Option

Turn the computer off and on. Then immediately, start tapping the F2 key. That will bring up the menu I described in my instructions.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Turning it off and on (while tapping the F2 key) had no change in result. I still get the Aptio Setup Utility and can't enable the Launch CSM
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
However, I can disable the Secure Boot Control.

Disable the Secure Boot Control and test it once more, please.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No change.. The only thing the F9 button seemed to do was open a dialog box (within the Setup Utility) regarding "Load Optimized Defaults"

Please, choose the "Load Optimized Defaults" and test that option.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ive tried that numerous times....
Same result

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Expert:  Dustin replied 20 days ago.

Hello, my name is Dustin.

We should consider the possibility that the hard drive has either failed, or it has slipped loose from its connector.

Have you tried removing the hard drive? Here is a video that shows how to disassemble a previous model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjCtMtTdB7Q

So disconnect the power cord, turn it off.. Then remove the hard drive.. Then,reconnect the hard drive.. And then turn it back on.

If it still doesnt work, you will need to replace the hard drive, then reinstall windows.

Your machine shipped with a 1 terrabyte hard drive.. If you wanted to double your storage space, you can get compatible hard drives below.

2 TB ( double your previous space ) http://amzn.to/2g8tfOR

1 TB ( same as your previous space ) http://amzn.to/2ff3cXx

Discount drive, various sizes. http://amzn.to/2g8scys

After you have replaced the hard drive, you can use another computer to download windows 10 to a USB drive using this media creation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then, you will be able to reinstall windows on your new hard drive.

If you have any questions or concerns, let me know.

Dustin S

Expert:  Dustin replied 15 days ago.

Hello again, I havent heard from you for a while. Did you still need help with this issue or not?

If you do not need help, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating to show that I was able to answer your questions. If you still need help, please send a reply so we can continue working on the issue.

Thanks again,

Dustin S.