Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

HDMI port stopped working, Toshiba Satellite, Toshiba

Customer Question

HDMI port stopped working
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Toshiba Satellite
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Toshiba Graphics drivers
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 5 months ago.

My name is David.

What operating system is running on the computer? Is it Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or something else?

Also, was the HDMI port working prior to installing the graphics drivers?

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, It is Windows 7 and I have not hooked up the computer to HDMI in probablly 3 months but the last time I did it worked fine. This time it is not working at all tried on 2 different TVs and Went to Toshibas website and downloaded the Graphics Drives. The VGA port is also acting odd as it sees my Dell External Monitor but there is no display to it. But the External Display clearly shows there is a Dell External Monitor there. I even hear it kick up when i plug in the VGA to the laptop but no display
Expert:  David L replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Given that it was previously working, the next step I recommend is to perform a system restore to roll back the computer configuration to the previous working state. Click the Windows Start button then All Programs, then Accessories then System Restore. Click Next and then click a restore point dated prior to when the issue first occurred and click Next. Confirm the System Restore and the restore will be applied and the computer will reboot. Then retest to see if the issue is resolved.

Note that System Restore is reversible and does not impact your personal files.

Please let me know if the above procedure resolves the issue.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried 2 different restore points one in August my earliest and one in July both failed saying it couldnt restore some random file in Program Files x86 with a long random character name.
Expert:  David L replied 5 months ago.

Ok then next click the Windows Start button then type Computer Management in the Search box and click on Computer Management when the icon appears. When the Computer Management window appears click on Device Manager. Click on the Sound Video and Game Controllers icon to expand it then right click on the HDMI controller icon and click Uninstall. After uninstall completes, reboot the computer and let it reinstall the HDMI driver then test to see if the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sure where do we get the HDMI driver again once I uninstall?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I actually do not have a HDMI controller Icon. There are 2 sublevels both named High Definition Audio Device and that is all under the Sound Video and Games Controller Icon
Expert:  David L replied 5 months ago.

Windows should automatically detect the presence of the HDMI controller on boot up and install the driver automatically as well. You will have to click "OK" when a window appears to approve the install.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok.........I then posted I actually do not have a HDMI controller Icon. There are 2 sublevels both named High Definition Audio Device and that is all under the Sound Video and Games Controller Icon
Expert:  David L replied 5 months ago.

Ok, then do any of them have (HDMI) at the end of the name of the audio controller?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no they are named "High Definition Audio Device" exactally
Expert:  David L replied 5 months ago.

Has the computer BIOS recently been updated?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I personal have not done anything more then update the graphic drives on toshibas website. Dont know if there was any kind of auto updates applied.
Expert:  David L replied 5 months ago.

Ok then next change the resolution on the external monitor as it is possible that the graphics driver default is too high for the external monitor. To do that right click on the desktop, click Screen Resolution, select the external monitor, then click the resolution drop down box and select a low resolution (as a test) and click OK and let me know if it starts working. Note that you may have to enable the second monitor because you just recently changed the driver so the settings may be default rather than your custom settings.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried that already before I opened this support ticket once. Just tried it again to with the Dell Monitor thru VGA. I can see the laptop monitor flash and the external monitor flash but going into Screen Resolution and changing it on monitor 2 all the way down to 800 x 600 still no pic on the external screen. I still have the Issue that when I plug the HDMI cord into the Laptop and into my TV its not picking up to send the signal to the TV
Expert:  David L replied 5 months ago.

Since I have to step away from the computer I am going to open up this question to other experts. Someone else should be joining you soon.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is a screen shot of the settings for that monitor and to show it is picking it up but the screen is still blank
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To start with, when you downloaded the display driver from Toshiba.. Did it show more then one possible driver choice or display brand?

Also, what is the full name brand and model of your toshiba?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello, There was only one possible driver choice and the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7015
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

If there was only one possible drive choice, that eliminates an incompatible driver version issue.

Lets try this.

With both monitors connected and turned on.

Hold down the windows key on your keyboard, while holding it tap the P key, tap the P key again till it says extend desktop.

Does that turn the second monitor on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No that was one of the first simple things that google tells you to try
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

how about the bios.

When you went to the toshiba website, did they have a bios update listed.

And did they have a chipset update listed?

If so, did you update either?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didnt look my only interest was making the HDMI port work so all i did was update the graphics drivers
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Understood.. But the chipset, and also the bios also has an effect on the Video operations.

Lets take a look at the toshiba website for your model of computer. And see if there is a bios or chipset update...