Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I type Court transcripts. The transcripts have Q and A's. I

Customer Question

I type Court transcripts. The transcripts have Q and A's. I have macros set up so when I used AltQ it brings up Q and the number following it. ie Q1, Q2. Hitting AltQ again would give me Q4, etc. etc.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: The CPU is an HP.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I have not. my problem is that these macros have worked for years. Last week when I went to change the numbering list as soon as I change the question number to start at a different value it also changes the format of my transcript. I'm not sure if I''m being clear here. Sometimes a transcript has to be split into 2 because of size. In that case the 2nd transcript which normally has Q1 has the starting number has to be changed to whatever is the next question from transcript 1. I used to be able to do this all the time. Now when I change the number value the format of the text in the subsequent llines is too close to the left margin.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 7 months ago.

You hit the nail on the head: to say the least, you are not being clear. I don't even know what language(s) or tool(s) you're using. Are these Excel macros? WordPerfect macros? Is there some special language or tool that you use with your court steno? Change WHAT format of WHAT text in WHAT application??

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation. Expending a few moments up front specifying your needs in PRECISE DETAIL will help everyone solve the problem much more quickly and efficiently (efficiently for bank tellers also--if you get my drift).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The transcripts are typed in Word 10 and the macros are also created in word. I have had no problems for years. If I open my Word document after it is typed I can right click on the question number. That brings up a box that allows you to change the number value of the question. ie change question 1 to question 5 or whatever number I want it to be.Recently things changed. When I change the number value of the question it changes the line format on subsequent lines. This never happened before.

Have you recently switched OS or Word versions? I am a diehard advocate of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No nothing new

Well that is difficult to swallow, purely because things do not change by themselves unless something around them changed.

Please post a recent transcript that exhibits the undesired behavior and, if you can find one, a slightly older transcript that exhibits the correct behavior. Just tack them into the Messages stream by clicking on Ye Olde Paperclyppe.

Don't worry about sensitive data. I'm not interested in the facts of the case. You can just excerpt things down to, "Mr. Jones said X. Mr Smith said Y."

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found your answer rude. To say that what I say is difficulty to swallow is paramount to calling me a liar. I repeat I have not changed anything.I will seek an answer elsewhere.

Sorry you feel that way. SOMETHING changed. Whether you are consciously aware of having made a change is another question entirely. INSISTENCE won't get the problem solved.

Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

I am a different expert.

Can you please upload the document to www.wikisend.com and provide me the download link here

I can then check it and see what is happening

Please remove any confidential information first

Thank you