Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Networks & Security Engineer
76221641

I am stupid and clicked on a link in an email on my phone

Customer Question

I am stupid and clicked on a link in an email on my phone last night at dinner. It appeared to be from my bank. I started entering personal info such as drivers license and ssn. I stopped before entering a bank account or card info. I decided I would do this from home on my computer, so I just closed the phone without deleting any info. This morning I still had my stupid hat on and clicked on the link again and started entering info. I suddenly realized this was a fraudulent email and I deleted all info and trashed the email. I called my bank and they verified it was fake and I forwarded the email to them. I have since changed all online banking id and passwords. Am I at risk? Were they able to capture any info that I entered? I did not hit a "send" button.
JA: Have you contacted anyone about your account?
Customer: Yes, my bank.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'mCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry this has happened to you. This is a popular scam (Phishing Scam) that has been going on. The link that they send to you probably installing Keylogger (a software that monitor and log all keystrokes) and/or other malicious items, Please Report them to the Internet Crime Bureau here : http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx So My advice is to get a new Credit card from your Bank .

Let me know if you need further assistance

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Would you like me to set up a remote session, which will allow me to connect directly to your screen ? I will remove malwares, secure your Browsers and your computer.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Do you still need help please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I am fine now. Thanks.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

If you have a moment please rate my answer by clicking on one of the stars, positive rating are appreciated

JustAnswer has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, We value you as a customer and very much want you to be satisfied.

Note : Only rate if you are satisified, please do not rate an answer as poor or bad service, if we cant help you solve the issue you will be entitled to a full refund.

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please follow the steps below to scan your computer from Malwares :

1-Scan your computer with your Antivirus software.

2-Run Malwarebytes, a free malware/virus scanner. Please click https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download Once you install it, Please Update and then run a Quick Scan and Delete any Malware/Viruses. It should take 25-55 minutes to complete.

3- Once that is complete, please download Ccleaner, as this will clean temp and cache and corrupted files from your computer.(Uncheck History option) Click http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

4-Download Firefox browser from : www.firefox.com

Once you install it download the adblock plugin, this plugin will protect you from web pages that install malwares on your computer

Thank you