Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

I lost my computer, cell phone and list of email passwords

Customer Question

I lost my computer, cell phone and list of email passwords in the recent floods in this part of Louisiana. Have new computer but can't recall my Gmail password ***** I've had for at least 8-10 years and which came up automatically upon clicking on the Google site. Can't figure out to recall/reset it! My site ID is<*****@******.***. I've been unable to use the "two-step verif." system since I have no cell phone to receive text messages and I've no clue as to what other passwords I've used in the past. I probably can remember many of the email names (but not likely many URLs) I emailed in the past. My "little black book" with ALL of my passwords is now a big soggy ball of mush! any way you can help me retrieve my emails? THANKS! ( I must have 12,000 stacked-up by now!) Richard Vidacovich,***** Slidell, LA. Tele. #***-***-**** (landline) My cellphone # WAS(###) ###-####
JA: How long have you had this issue with your Gmail account?
Customer: Since the floods in La this past October.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that my new computer came with Windows 10
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 22 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The way to get your GMail account password ***** simply requires, if you set up a phone number for the password ***** information to be sent to, that you have that phone number again.

If the phone number was on the ruined or flooded or lost phone, that's OK: a phone number on a lost/ruined/broken phone, can be assigned over to another phone... provided that the account that phone number was linked to, has been kept paid up in the meantime (otherwise, with the account lapsing owing to lack of payment, the phone number will be free to be assigned to other customers, and probably will be so assigned... though you could contact your (former?) phone co., and ask if that number can still be or become yours again.)

It's good that you know what your cellphone # used to be. That's the ticket! call your (prospective?) phone company, where you are getting a new/replacement cell phone with texting capability, and see if they can assign you that number again, to your replacement cell phone. Do so immediately, I suggest. It may be taken by someone else, otherwise.

As for remembering other email account names... you sent emails from them to someone, and if you remember who you sent emails to, that you are on friendly terms with, email them or contact them otherwise, and have them look at the email(s) you sent them and get the email addresses off them. That's one way to get your old 'email names' back.

There may be other ways too. Let me know, if you even want to check to make sure there is or isn't such a way, to get info back, or password ***** an account back, etc. I'd like to help if it is possible to by advising you.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.